Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #81

Re: Dawn Patrol Build

The 300 2-stroke is a great bike. Enjoy! I'd love to ride one on the street.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #82

Cool! Looks like an EXC......excellent!.....these are a handful on the street!

I have a 2001 300EXC......recently sold a 2000 300EXC and I also have a 2000 200EXC and a 2008 250 XCF-W with a big bore kit and a recluse.

The 300 is a blast....enough torque to be a "three stroke"; these days I dig the 200....the most fun that you can have with your clothes on! A bunch of my riding buddies have this vintage 300s and they love them. We have done pretty much everything to these from suspension work to changing transmission gear sets to make MXCs into EXCs so if you have any questions, feel free...

If you haven't already....familiarize yourself with KTMtalk.com its another great forum.

In CA these are grandfathered in as green sticker two strokes which makes them quite popular.

If you are taking that with you on your journey I'd love to ride....Moab, CA ........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #83

Yeah man we'll definitely link up and ride. I got it registered no problem. Guess they don't care at all in FL lol. And I found out the first step in transferring the title to a class b.

I put the heater together and mounted it. I just need to attach the fuel lines and the electronics.

Bed is in..

I put the dirtbike mount together.

I installed these little leds underneath to light up the ground while camping. Nothing worse than dropping something and not being able to find it.

I'm helping promote my friends kiteboard company by putting the logo on the side of the van. So I used a projector to trace out the image.

I'm going to paint that part and put another coat on the roof on wednesday, when there's a break in the rain.

Progress is being made on the roof rack too. The boxes that my longboard is going into are almost ready. Just need to clean it up a bit and weld the tabs underneath to the frame.

You can see the door/lock that will secure the board from anyone looking for a new ride.
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #84

So you've got a plate for the 300?......That's very close to impossible here in CA.......especially for a 2 smoker.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
So you've got a plate for the 300?......That's very close to impossible here in CA.......especially for a 2 smoker.
Not to hijack, but last time I tried you could still tag a 2 stroke here in TN too. You just put lights on it and tell em it's a street legal dirt bike and they will sell you a tag for it. I know, it seems like cheatin'!

The van looks great! That projector idea is brilliant. When I see ideas like that it reminds me how far from bright I really am.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #86

Care to go in how that box will lock your surfboard? I figure you made the box just big enough to fit the tail of the board and fins in it, and then once locked the board cannot be removed?
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #87
Wbp

Dawn patrol the build Is looking great. I bet you are out in the water right now dawn patrols this week for sure. Go Gators.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
yeah it was insanely easy. As long as the title says MC under 'type' you can tag it. I didn't even bring it up there for an inspection or anything. Just pay the tax and you're good to go. Took it for a ride yesterday and sat at a red light next to a cop and he didn't say shit. I look kinda funny too because all I have is motocross gear. You couldn't miss me lol. People were like, "what's that noise?" then all of a sudden a neon orange streak would fly past them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The van looks great! That projector idea is brilliant. When I see ideas like that it reminds me how far from bright I really am.

I use that technique for a bunch of stuff. I'm horrible at drawing lol. I did this last weekend...

Used a dremel tool to carve it out. Practicing for halloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt
Care to go in how that box will lock your surfboard? I figure you made the box just big enough to fit the tail of the board and fins in it, and then once locked the board cannot be removed?
Sure, this is for my longboard. I'm going to put my shortboards in the thule container. It's exactly what you assume. The nose goes in one box, the tail in the other. Lock the door behind it. In retrospect I would have just made one huge box to contain the board and awning plus some more. But we kind of developed this thing as we went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbp
Dawn patrol the build Is looking great. I bet you are out in the water right now dawn patrols this week for sure. Go Gators.
ugh! it's been firing for the past week. I'm not getting anything done! And now it's going to rain all week. I need to be on the road by the 8th. kill me now. and yes, GO GATORS!! I'll be at the game this weekend.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #89

Progress was going slow and I hated that I was rushing the work to catch an unrealistic deadline. So I took the van down to the keys for a friends wedding as a test run. I already had tickets to the LSU/UF game since I planned on being in that area by now, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. It's a good thing I have a ton of miles. So $12 to fly out there for the weekend works for me. I left the van with my welder so hopefully he'll have the battery box in and the rack painted and on. Here's some long overdue updated pics.

Some more pics of the longboard box. The tabs will go underneath and welded to the pipe, then holes drilled out. I'm going to use hardware to attach everything to the rack. This way when I sell it, if the person doesn't like the setup, they can strip it down to a bare rack and start fresh.

Welded mounts for the solar panels.

Here's the awning struts

They just clamp in around the pipes

I sprayed the roof again. We scratched it up a lot taking the rack on and off dry fitting it. Plus it was a bit thin.

I sprayed around the edge of the vent to better seal it.

I finished my friends company's logo as well.

Cut out the excess in the doors.

Reflectix

The stove fits perfect in the door, held up very tightly with magnets. I can slam the door and it won't fall off, but still easy to pull off.

The start of the sink cabinet. I made an opening for a fire extinguisher.

Here's a better idea of what the awning will look like.

The awning will have velcro straps to go through these slits and pull tight.

mocked up the panels.

The room in the boxes, under the panels.

Put the dirtbike on the back as well to see how it fits. A bit too wobbly for my liking. It's going to take some modification.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #90

Wow, tons of welding and time on that rack! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together, especially the awning.