Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #91

Re: Death Wobble - Possible Resolution

Update: I tried strapping the axle back and sending it over the same DW causing pot hole. It did reduce the DW even further and the vehicle recovered after just a few seconds, but it is still there. Looking at the videos below it seems that there is still movement in the bushings of the radius arms. I think the force from the straps is still being overcome by the force on the axle. At this point without taking it apart it is hard to tell if the play is coming from the urethane bushing deforming or if there is slop in the bushing.

Video #10:

Video #11:

sidetrak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #92

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Why don't you train your camera directly on the bushings in question?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #93
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I think you're correct, talk to Derek at CCV, as mentioned earlier in this thread, he fabs radius arm mounts for use with his adjustable arms he fabs up. I would consider looking at that setup as a true solution to your problem, for one, it places everything back in parallel with the frame, the other would be that after looking at your videos again with Ray(1der) while he's in town getting a CCV top, we also agree that the large urethane bushings on either side of your radius arms are to blame for creating the movement you are experiencing. I was just up there with Ray at CCV today and these are shots of Derek's setup with the mounts

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #94
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I think you're correct, talk to Derek at CCV, as mentioned earlier in this thread, he fabs radius arm mounts for use with his adjustable arms he fabs up. I would consider looking at that setup as a true solution to your problem, for one, it places everything back in parallel with the frame, the other would be that after looking at your videos again with Ray(1der) while he's in town getting a CCV top, we also agree that the large urethane bushings on either side of your radius arms are to blame for creating the movement you are experiencing. I was just up there with Ray at CCV today and these are shots of Derek's setup with the mounts
Is it just me, or does that pitman arm to drag link alignment look a little wonky? It seems like it's offset to me.

Herb
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #95
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I think it's just the funky angle of my photo, it all looked pretty squared up when looking at it
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I think it's just the funky angle of my photo, it all looked pretty squared up when looking at it
I hope so, but even the rubber boot looks like it has uneven compression on it.

Herb
Old 05-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I hope so, but even the rubber boot looks like it has uneven compression on it.

Herb

You can grab the drag link and twist it by hand relative to the pitman arm, there are ball joints on either end to prevent binding.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #98

I talked with Don at Boulder Offroad this week and he wants to take a look at the urethane bushings and sleeves on the rear radius arm mounts. Unfortunately I wont have time to do that in the next week or two. I looks like Derek's bracket is more for a 4 link setup than radius arms. I am not sure this would work for my application, what does everyone else think?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #99

I've started working on designs for radius arm brackets (and other custom parts related to putting a 2005+ F-series axle under an E-series). Here's a screen shot of the progress...

Even with the CAD models to build off of, it isn't as simple as it might look. There are a lot of design elements to think through.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I've started working on designs for radius arm brackets (and other custom parts related to putting a 2005+ F-series axle under an E-series). Here's a screen shot of the progress...

Even with the CAD models to build off of, it isn't as simple as it might look. There are a lot of design elements to think through.
So when are you going to start building vans from scratch? I'm constantly amazed at your 'hobby'.

Great looking stuff you have here. Looks sort of like a Transformer. Maybe Optimus Econolinus?

Herb