Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Diesel auxiliary tank

Actively searching a direct fit, auxiliary diesel tank, after axle, RB, 06 with rear a/c. There is a rear a/c in play. To be used fill the main tank, a 46 gal transfer flow tank that starts to run empty at the 32 gallons consumed stage, hmmmmm.

CaveCreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Re: Diesel auxiliary tank

TF sells a rear tank, however it has to be put in by an ADA mobility upfitter (wheelchair van maker).

The Ford rear 35-gallon cutaway will fit, but will hang down a little low so some sort of guard would be prudent. You would have to install a dual tank switchover valve, or use the TF TRAX transfer system.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

Have you filled the T-F tank all the way to the filler neck? What do you mean the tank starts to run empty at 32 gallons? Is the engine stopping because of fuel starvation? or is the low fuel minder starting to 'DING' at you? I've gone 70 miles after the low fuel warning and still going. Others have run out much earlier than that.

The venting on some installations causes the pump to shut off with about 35 gallons in the tank. It is possible to 'dribble' fuel in until the level comes up the filler neck. Took 45 minutes to fill mine to that level the first time. Then I got it fixed.

The cure is to take the fuel tank down and either shorten the vent tube or put a hole in it about 1" down. Then you will still have some room for expansion and more fuel in the tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Have you filled the T-F tank all the way to the filler neck? What do you mean the tank starts to run empty at 32 gallons?
Not that this hasn't been discussed before, but the only way I know mine is full is to see the diesel in the neck- and not foam, real diesel fuel. Otherwise it's somewhat arbitrary where it stops depending on the pump I'm at. I just look at it as an extra 8 gallon space that can only be filled with a trickle... so I only fill it when I really need it.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Have you filled the T-F tank all the way to the filler neck? What do you mean the tank starts to run empty at 32 gallons? Is the engine stopping because of fuel starvation? or is the low fuel minder starting to 'DING' at you? I've gone 70 miles after the low fuel warning and still going. Others have run out much earlier than that.

The venting on some installations causes the pump to shut off with about 35 gallons in the tank. It is possible to 'dribble' fuel in until the level comes up the filler neck. Took 45 minutes to fill mine to that level the first time. Then I got it fixed.

The cure is to take the fuel tank down and either shorten the vent tube or put a hole in it about 1" down. Then you will still have some room for expansion and more fuel in the tank.

Mike
Yes i fill the tank to the neck with diesel. not foam but actual fuel & it takes a long time to dribble those last 5 gallons. Through field testing, the rig chugs & sputters at the 32 gallons consumed point as if it is running out of fuel and yes i am running airdog2 thru the stock pump. This is no bueno when the TF tank is 46g & I am in north central baja 4 hours drive to nearest avl fuel spot. The tank is coming down & the pick up is being checked over, especially the "red plug" & we will do your recommends thank you.
The bigger question remains, who has the auxiliary tank set up that works for the RB with rear a/c? Living in the phoenix, AZ oven......not removing the rear a/c even though the Ferd a/c plumbing keeps getting rebuilt every year due to leaks.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

Are you sure you have a T-F tank, not a cut-down factory tank (Quigley does this, other upfitters do it if you don't pay the big bucks for the T-F tank)? The cut-down factory tank is right at 32 gallons. 4-5 gallons is how much air space is above the fuel on a factory tank and will be slow to fill that space.

Cut-down factory tanks are stamped steel with rounded corners. T-F tanks are all flat sheet metal cut to size and welded at the corners.

If you have a T-F tank and can only get 32 gallons out, your pickup is not at the bottom of the tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Are you sure you have a T-F tank, not a cut-down factory tank (Quigley does this, other upfitters do it if you don't pay the big bucks for the T-F tank)? The cut-down factory tank is right at 32 gallons. 4-5 gallons is how much air space is above the fuel on a factory tank and will be slow to fill that space.

Cut-down factory tanks are stamped steel with rounded corners. T-F tanks are all flat sheet metal cut to size and welded at the corners.

If you have a T-F tank and can only get 32 gallons out, your pickup is not at the bottom of the tank.

Mike
At over $1K purchase price, shipped from CA & the TF sticker on the tank, I am quite sure. checking where the pick up is in relationship to bottom of the tank is on the to do list. Good questions.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #8

I found a factory ford 50 gallon aft tank out of a wrecked 2006 Diesel Cab Chassis (i think it was an ambulance) for $150. I am installing it in my 1999 E-350 EB 7.3. These tanks are not difficult to find, and bolt in with minor modifications although they are low so a skip plate might be a good idea. I will post some pictures when i get into the install.
3677chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #9

Garage
Diesel auxiliary tank

Is your rig 4x4?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
Is your rig 4x4?
yes it is. see my gallery.
Attached Thumbnails