Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

I use to get similar reactions when I traveled around on my BMWR100Gs. Now I get the same thing with the van, it certainly says something about our life style doesn't it? Were living the life a lot of folks can only dream about. Lucky us..........

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I use to get similar reactions when I traveled around on my BMWR100Gs. Now I get the same thing with the van, it certainly says something about our life style doesn't it? Were living the life a lot of folks can only dream about. Lucky us..........
And most people can't seem to make the connection that the sweet 4x4 van cost the same, or less, than their modern SUV, pickup, sedan, etc. This always confuses me. I drive an old BMW convertible as my 'other car' and people still give me that 'entitled' attitude on occasion. I just want to say Dude, you're doing a double take on my old tired 200k BMW and you're driving a new Nissan which cost 4 times as much???!!!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Ha ha, gotta love how as soon as it's lifted its no longer able to be perverted.

Still perverted. Just able to be so in more inaccessible places.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 09-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

I'm about done trying to explain "why is that van so high?" (Most recent question). I may default to GEE it doesn't seem all that big to me.

Took Hellbetty and a grill out to The Mudhole last night. Instead of fishing I went up the main trail while son and hs GF grilled dinner. He gave me good beta on what sections and cutbanks to avoid. But the Ruts looked soooo fun! Probably need MT's for those.

Some medium rocks and decent mudholes but nothing crazy, I guess I missed the best part because the No Trespasasing sign had been twisted and I was not sure if it meant the road or the side parcel. So I had gone past the turnaround already so I had to back out through the biggest Mudhole to get out of there (it is remote in there but there is a house nearby). Will go back with someone riding shotgun for that

(I worked survey crew staking mining claims in remote Nevada areas in my 20s and had good 4x4 adventures there (F150/250s) only almost got both axles buried once.... Haha. It was fun four-wheeler country, you can always flip those back upright)

Biggest problem with these outings is that I use don't want to go to sleep after returning! Not sure if it is the night air or the possibilities on my mind that keep me awake. Did not get good photos of the trail since I was solo on that part

As you can see from photo I was saturated with decisions when I ordered the tires PRE- Agile RIP kit. Will order BFG ATs and sell these 265/70 17s.

Should I go with 275s or 285s on the BFGs?
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #15

Picked up the kids and son bounced in with a tape to measure Hellbettys new height with RIP kit installed -7'6"- always good knowledge to have!

That's his Tacoma in the rear view mirror. Did a town test the other day and YES I can get in the drivers seat wearing a long dress TBD how graceful it looks!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Love the reply! And ya, I'm sure as a women driving around such a beast people have all kinds of things to say. Heck, I'd come and see what's going on too!

Being in a wheelchair and having one of these vans seems very similar to what you experience. My favorite thing to do is watch people try to act like they aren't watching me get in and out. And I love parking in a handicapped spot and watching the older folks mean mug me until I throw my chair out and hop down, then they just seem confused.

Glad your enjoying it and I'm looking forward to more pictures!
ROFL Jsweezy!!! I laugh every time I think of this! Have your wife hide and snap some pics of the grumpy-faces

People are pretty respectful so far. I have only gotten what I call the "Little Lady" routine 1x, first day fueling up and I was hanging off the step cleaning the windshield. The guy could have spoken up sooner if he wanted to help out and clean my windshield!

Took Hellbetty by my hair salon the other day to show my stylist. She comes from diesel 4x4 clan.... She skipped out, informed me I need bigger tires with that lift, what axle spacers to consider, her preferred tires and OH bedliner materials to consider for flooring. But she loved Hellbetty! Being women we did not pop the hood and admire the V10 but strolled around as she pointed out every ding dang nick and scrape and how to buff it out

She does know some good local truck shops so banking my resources...
Old 09-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Did the inspection guy look at the brake pads? kind of hard to guess how much brakes you've got left any other way...
Yep- brakes: front are new, rear have 10-20% left
Dealer had front U Joint done
Fluids- all new incl transfer case tranny
No excessive rust
Spare swaps ok 4x4 tested and functional, light works fluid (?) ok
shifter sticky from little use
Live axle - suspension good - belts good - passenger door panel missing small bracket - some dings
Mechanic said plan to have rear diff (fluid?) changed in 10-20k miles. Not worried about it, my personal vehicle ownership philosophy is maintaining per recommended schedules (vs reactive maintenance)
Planning to call John today to thank him and let him know my awesome AGILE product has improved Hellbettys quality of life

CURRENT SITUATION- has some pull in left front wheel. Maybe Need bearings? I did not address yet as I was waiting for RIP kit/alignment to determine if still an issue which it is. (Come to think of it they should have mentioned that after aligning. Hmmmm.

ADD: really glad I bought a V10! even tho I'm not loading it yet other than the a quigley, it is great to have the power in this size vehicle. I sense that people on highway are surprised when I am able to merge and pass successfully
Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #18

Garage
The left pull could be from the tires and if it is it usually only gets worse as you go up in size. If I were you I would stick with 33s or if your gonna go mud terrains then 34s but not bigger than that. Biggest reason is so when you turn and hit a bump at the same time you have enough space to function. That's why I have the 285/70/17, I could easily fit bigger when cruising down the road, but my wheel well is only so big and I hate turning right into an incline and hearing stuff hit.

Also, changing the rear diff fluid is super easy, I wouldnt pay someone else to do it.

I agree with you fully on the v10. I only tow every now and then but I hit a lot of hillls/mountains and the v10 makes them feel so easy.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #19

If you go larger than a 33", I think you will need to modify the front fenders, closest to the door, to avoid rubbing.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #20

Pulling left could be any number of things.. I'd bring it back to alignment shop, if they're good they should be able to help diagnose. I'm not certain what axle is on the newer Quigley's - pretty sure it's different than my old D60 Kingpin, but there is undoubtedly a way to fix the pull...
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote