Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #21

Thanks for input- I am going to start at shop who did my RIP kit / alignment. They do a lot of 4wd work and Doug (owner) was informative

Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #22

Yep can't go up tire size much with the current config May look silly but I'm not being a slave to the current van trends anyhow with the chrome wheels - gasp - just happy to have her!

I posted interior pics in my HellBetty album, can't get multiple photos uploaded in threads yet
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #23

I've got 285/70-17's ....roughly the same size as 285/75-16's......and they rub a little when turning and hitting a bump....even after some fender trimming.

REF and a few others have some trick radius arms for their Quigleys that have threaded spherical rod ends (Heim joints). These allow a tiny bit of forward adjustment of the wheels/axle to minimize rubbing.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #24

Garage
I was just looking through your photo album and man you lucked out! Awesome looking van for sure.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I've got 285/70-17's ....roughly the same size as 285/75-16's......and they rub a little when turning and hitting a bump....even after some fender trimming.

REF and a few others have some trick radius arms for their Quigleys that have threaded spherical rod ends (Heim joints). These allow a tiny bit of forward adjustment of the wheels/axle to minimize rubbing.
Yup, every van is a little different, but generally a 'stock' Quigley can handle 285s (on 16" rims tire is ~32.8" diameter, on 17" rims it's 32.7").

If you want to go larger you can get adjustable radius arms like mine from Agile or REF's from CCV. Or you can cut and weld the fenders. It's not too hard, but then you gotta paint the fenders.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #26

Called Doug at Tire Center yesterday hoping to get in Monday morning but he wanted to see her yesterday. I left there with a wheel balancing. Improvement so far.... He kept teasing me about the mud splatters. Well I'm not out busting axles or anything so dang

I parked her on a slope yesterday where I went running and went I got back, coming down the hill I could see sky underneath and had to admit she does look high!

I COULD sell the Toyo's I have on there and replace with 33 BFG ATs. Can someone explain what difference 33's will make in how she handles? I want to get interior started so don't want to get into fender mods right now
Old 09-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #27

Garage
Tire size might not matter as much on ride as load rating. When I picked The Yeti up she had BFG KOs load rate D on her. When I switched to E rated tires, she firmed up nice. With the Agile RIP kit, she ride very nice.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Called Doug at Tire Center yesterday hoping to get in Monday morning but he wanted to see her yesterday. I left there with a wheel balancing. Improvement so far.... He kept teasing me about the mud splatters. Well I'm not out busting axles or anything so dang

I parked her on a slope yesterday where I went running and went I got back, coming down the hill I could see sky underneath and had to admit she does look high!

I COULD sell the Toyo's I have on there and replace with 33 BFG ATs. Can someone explain what difference 33's will make in how she handles? I want to get interior started so don't want to get into fender mods right now
Find out if Doug has a couple used 285s they could mount on the front and see if they rub. Then you can move up if you want, or keep what you have.

Larger tires generally lead to a little more 'mushy' feeling..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #29

Annie O, I have 285/70x17s on my Quigley with Agile RIP and that size seems about perfect. I wouldn't want to go smaller and going larger would result in some rubbing issues. The van had a size smaller when I got it, but I remember when I went up to this size years ago I appreciated the slightly softer ride.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #30

A softer ride would be appreciated! RIP kit coils stiffer for sure
Noticed bearings listed in upcoming maintenance schedule so also keeping eye on that