Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
... on the way home on the interstate a deer hit a semi I was behind. It somehow landed directly on the road in front of me. Aaaaand I stayed the course due to abundance of traffic, darkness rain etc. Guts and stuff under car, bumper panel bent, headed out now to get damage estimate...
That deer didn't have a red nose, did he? My sons going to be seriously bummed come late December if he did.

Herb

Old 11-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
That deer didn't have a red nose, did he? My sons going to be seriously bummed come late December if he did.

Herb
Herb, Couple of questions for you-
Not sure how old your son is but does he drive a stick shift yet?

Won't you wish for a little problem like that when he is driving your Bronco?
And do NOT send any protestors over here, I was just in the landing zone!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Herb, Couple of questions for you-
Not sure how old your son is but does he drive a stick shift yet?

Won't you wish for a little problem like that when he is driving your Bronco?
And do NOT send any protestors over here, I was just in the landing zone!

My son is 10, but he wants to learn to drive by driving my Bronco. I recommended that learning to drive in a short wheel-base, lifted Bronco on 35's, with a stick and an Atlas transfer case may not be the way to ease into driving. I appreciate his enthusiasm though.

BTW, if I suddenly stop posting on the forum, check the NM obituaries for my name. My son asked my wife if we had a will. When my wife asked him why, my son wanted to know if he'd get the Bronco when I die! Not quite sure how to take that comment.

Herb
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #64

LOL Herb! Those 10 YO's are definitely a smart age. I imagine he got his Bronco-enthusiasm by watching his dad. We think they look young but the wheels are a-turning. My experience with son, step son and their team mates is then when the young men get older (mid-late teens) they may LOOK like grown men, but their internal workings send them to la la land.

As far as your son's interest in your will- simple enough to address. Have the title converted to uniform transfer on death... at least here you can name who the title will transfer to upon death without having it go through your estate- does your state allow that? If so be sure to take him with you to the DMV when you convert your title to that and omit his name

No politics intended but I watched Leslie Stahl interview with president elect last night and she asked the uninformed question of whether Barron Trump knows what is going on with his dad since he is only 10.

Either that was a tongue-in-cheek question I thought WOW she has apparently raised no children!
Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #65

As noted elsewhere, I'm learning from scratch and my info searches on this fine forum are often hindered by all the expert level advice. I need it dumbed down!

(I used to remind my son to just dumb-it-down when he would get aggravated with the lame academic classes at the trade school where he took his precision machining cert)

Anyhow, here is a link to an article I can understand, and I wonder if anyone could look it over and post if you have parts, materials, spec recommendations to add. Again, dumb it down for me! (I'll worry about breaking a nail on my own time)

TIA
Bring Your Van Camper to Life: How to Add Batteries and a Solenoid to Your Stealth RV
Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #66

That's pretty simple stuff. I didn't read the whole thing, but in order to recharge your house battery (s) you need to supply a charging circuit. Since your alternator supplys the needed current you just need to connect to it. There are a ton of ways to do that, with the goal of having the house battery seperate from the starting battery at all times when the engine is not running so you can still start the engine if the house battery is dead. Your link discusses the same method GTRV used on my van, and that is to use a soloniod to connect the house battery to the alternator any time the engine is running. There are advantages and disadvantages to this method, but basicly it's probably the simplest and least expensive way to do it. You just run a wire from the alternator or start battery positive to the solenoid, and then from there to the house battery. The solenoid is just an electrically activated switch. It's contacts are open when the engine is off and closed when the engine is running. There is an electrical coil inside it that pulls a plunger down, closing the switch whenever the coil is activated by 12v from source that is only hot when the engine is running. Start the engine, and your house batterys will be getting charged. I recomend you get a copy of this book https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me.../dp/0071432388

Despite being written for boat owners, it will cover pretty much any question you might have about 12v systems from pumps to heating to charging circuts, and far more, and it's written in a way that pretty much anyone can understand it. It will be the best money you spend today.............................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #67

That's pretty much how we all doing it here, although I wouldn't use a solenoid to separate/combine batteries, I'd use one of the Blue Sea ACR battery separators.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #68

Super- thanks for the clarification Gentlemen! Ok I was on the right track thinking the Blue Sea is is a recommended upgrade.

I don't plan to have cabinets....yet. I can see how enclosure for certain items may be desirable tho. How much floor space should I dedicate to housing for this?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #69

I need to determine if a Sienna stationary seat can be mounted with the UJOR part for fitting a Sienna reclining seat into an E Series van.

Does anyone have a photo of the bottom of a Sienna reclining seat?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #70

Quote:
How much floor space should I dedicate to housing for this?
The individual parts are small, but by the time you include the heavy wires and get everything mounted and hooked up, it will take more space. Once you have designed your system, and have all the componants, you can lay them out on a table and get a good idea of the space needed, just leave enough room to install the wires which may be pretty stiff depending on the gauge you need. If you want to build the enclosure first, figure out what componants you will use, make paper cutouts of the proper size and move them around until it all fits. Just try to make everything accessable, since the one thing hidden behind a wall will the thing you need to test or repair first.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote