Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
DIY build vs Original: Insurance and Tax purposes?

I was just curious for those who have converted a standard van into an RV/camper of some sort....

Can you get "RV" status for insurance and/or tax deduction as 2nd home purposes, or must the van be certified RVIA and "original" directly from the manufacturer?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

Re: DIY build vs Original: Insurance and Tax purposes?

Hi Dave
Im curious if you ever got any feedback on your topic
Im nearly finished with my homebuild and was surprised to learn my insurance co will no longer insure it. Conversions unless "certified" dont qualify....
Thanks
Aaron
idamanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

No, I never got any feedback on my topic until now (your post). I haven't contacted my insurance company yet to ask them any questions regarding a DIY RV conversion, mainly because I'm nowhere even close to buying a base van.

Which insurance company told you that only certified conversions qualify?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

I decided to contact my insurance company last night. I explained what I'm planning on doing (DIY RV inside a Ford E-350, etc, similar to Sportsmobile), and asked them if they would insure such a DIY RV as an RV, what it had to have to qualify as an RV, etc.

I'll post their response when I hear from them.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #5

I went through this same exercise and received limited help/guidance from my insurance company. The insurance company will insure it as almost anything you want, however the deciding factor is with registration which is determined by your state's department of motor vehicles.

In my state, the RMV (registry of motor vehicles) has a set of rules that a RV must fit for it to be an "RV". I believe the wording was something like, "must be capable of permanent habitation". That definition seems a little loose - how many days defines permanent habitation? Does it need to have a grey water tank? Does it need to have plumbing? Does it need to have house power? I didn't pursue it further as I'm not constructing anything very complicated. I spoke to someone else who went through the same exercise somewhere else and that state had a nice list of what the vehicle must have to be an RV. Your state may have a nice list like this or may have something ambiguous like mine.

So bottom line is you need to check with whatever state govt. office that you register your other vehicles with. Be ready for lots of reading and digging for infomation, then it will probably need to be inspected by someone that can say, "yes, it meets the criteria to be a RV". Then you go back to your insurance company to sort everything out.

Hope this helps!
zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #6

Yes, it does. Thank you.

I'll have to dig around my DMV's website to see if there's a list of RV criteria.

Still haven't heard from my insurance company, although I did tell them it's a low priority.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #7

Update:

I contacted my DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles, part of Delaware Department of Transportation) and asked the question about making a homemade RV inside a cargo van, but registering it as an RV. Here is their response:

Quote:
As long as the vehicle is a "van" and is no longer a cargo van, meaning there are seats, tables, or any other permanently affixed component in the cargo area, it can carry a RV tag. It will have to be inspected once the modifications are done to change the classification to RV and receive an RV tag. The inspection manual and or the inspection lane can probably be more detailed as to what they look for.
So that pretty much covers me for what I'm doing, since I'll have fixed cabinets and seating. But I was curious as to what makes a vehicle an RV, so they got more specific:

Quote:
If the vehicle is not a van but something larger like a bus, it will have to meet 4 of the "temporary living quarters" definition as described under (52)

(52) "Recreational trailer" includes every trailer which weighs more than 5,000 pounds, is designed to provide temporary living quarters and which is built into and is an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a trailer chassis. The trailer must contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the ANSI/NFPA 501 C Standard, and provide at least 4 of the following facilities: Cooking facilities; refrigeration or ice box; self-contained toilet; heating and/or air conditioning; a portable water supply system, including a faucet and sink; separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply; or an LP-gas supply.

(53) "Recreational vehicle" includes every motor vehicle used for temporary human living quarters, not the residence of the owner or occupant, and used for recreational or vacation activities, including motor homes, self-propelled campers and other motor vehicles with permanently attached camper components. Recreational vehicle may also include every van which is used primarily for personal pleasure and not for commercial use, regardless of the equipment or furnishings contained within such van.
So, it sounds like I met the requirements of Section 52 even though I didn't have to with my build. I'm planning on a toilet, portable refrigerator, heating, portable water supply w/ faucet and sink, electrical power supply, and propane. So, I should definitely be covered, and able to get an RV tag.

Now, to wait on my insurance company to find out what they can do.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #8

For tax write off purposes, it's a matter of the vehicle meeting the criteria in the tax code. (Has sleeping, cooking, and bathroom facilities.) How you insure it or finance it doesn't impact eligibility for the 2nd home mortgage deduction. For example, you could finance with an auto loan or personal loan, and still write off the interest.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote