Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #11

Re: DIY floor -- what's your sandwich?

WVvan --

Do you have a part/order number from Lowe's? And how thick are the rubber mats?

I've gone a different route: filled the troughs with automotive fiber carpet padding, left the carpet on the passenger rear wheel well and in the cab (this is an XLT passenger van, so it has creature comforts), and put 3/8" plywood on top of that -- no adhesive -- just screws and a couple of floorbolts (since I also have no idea what I'm doing, I'm following your lead of just using screws so I can undo if necessary. If I later decide I need to add another sound deadening layer, I'd like to have the mat ordering info!

HINT: on the rubber mat, mark where the ridges on the floor are (and then transfer these marks to the plywood) so you will know where to place the screws. I test fit two of my four floor panels, and then had this lightbulb moment. Also, my other lightbulb moment: if you have any seams running lengthwise in the van, make sure these are on top of a ridge so you can screw them down there and ensure the seam is level. Fortunately I figured this one out before all the panels were cut.

(Yes, pictures will be forthcoming!)

Thanks,
GreyDawg

Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Site Team

Hey GreyDawg,
I looked around and can't find my receipt from Lowes so I don't have a part number.
It's probably buried in the ever growing pile of paperwork I'm collecting on the conversion.

If you go to the Lowes flooring section they had a small display for Flexi-tiles and the rubber mat samples were there. They are 1/4 inch thick and made from recycled rubber. The mats are not listed on the Lowes web site.

For the floor ridges in my van I measure from about 2' behind the drivers seat.
With the tape measure up against the drivers side wall the center of the ridges are at:

11-3/4", 17", 22-1/2", 28", 33-1/2", 38-3/4", 44-1/4", 49-1/2", 55-1/4", 60-1/4"

There is some slop in those measurements but for screwing down plywood they should be good enough since the width of the ridges will act as a margin of error.

I'll be laying the plywood at right angle to the ridges. Doing it this way will require a extra sheet but it's not a big expense.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #13

I'll make a note and look next time I'm at Lowe's. Thanks.

I laid two sheets at right angles to the ridges; however, for the last two feet or so of the floor, I used the trimmings from the first two sheets, and thus have a seam running on a ridge. I decided to mark the ridges on the plywood since about half of them take some zigs/zags as they run fore to aft.

I am very pleased with how well the cuts around the gas line, side step and wheelwells hold the plywood in place. I will have to use many fewer screws than I first anticipated.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Since you're ahead a question. Did you cover the side step lip? I'm conflicted on the point. It would be easier to cover it but once you do you can't remove the step and it's a great place to run wires.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #15

Yeah, I struggled with that one too. SMB covers the top of the side trim and runs the floor on the "40" side of the side door out above the stepwell.

In the end, I kept the side step (and rear door) trim intact and ran the plywood up to about 1/8" away, leaving enough room for a 90-degree aluminum trim strip. After I put the final flooring layer on, I will have an additional step up of about 1/4".

My decision was complicated by the fact that my house battery takes up half the stepwell. Because of the design of the tin box covering the battery, there was no way that I could extend the plywood subfloor over the battery box and not have a sharp 90 corner waiting to impale a shin. I ended up building a separate box to cover the battery box, rather than running the floor over it. My plan is to put a kitchen box in that space, with a design totally stolen from LenS.

So, as a result, I can still remove the entire Ford step trim if I wish.

Pictures will be forthcoming this weekend.

--GreyDawg
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #16

I'm new here. I wish I'd found you all before I started. I used 3/4" marine grade plywood with a touch of liquid nail and self tapping screws. I did not cover the step-well and left access to the body attachment bolts I do not know why.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor1.JPG   Floor2.JPG   Floor3.JPG  
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote