Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

M1 F Series bumper mount fabrication.

https://www.facebook.com/24213791481...7534277838962/

wild-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Tools of the trade. Cuts through 1/4" A36 steel like butter. I like the .040" cut off wheels, for a thinner kerf and less sparks. You go through more wheels, but I'm ok with that.[/QUOTE]

By the way, put the damn guard back on those grinders, a wheel explosion can kill you. I knew a guy who damn near had his aorta severed from an unguarded cut off wheel. He spent a couple weeks in the hospital. Another good reminder I had this weekend, while at a party I was talking to a gal who's a marine electrician who had been recently married. She was working on a 12v battery system when she accidentally shorted out the battery through her new wedding ring. She was really luck she was able to disconnect quickly, but she had a serious burn all around her finger and could have been way worse. It scared me because I've been working on my battery system for a few days and never removed my ring, but I'll never forget the sight of her finger. Stay safe.......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
By the way, put the damn guard back on those grinders, a wheel explosion can kill you. I knew a guy who damn near had his aorta severed from an unguarded cut off wheel......... Stay safe.......
That last part can NOT be said enough times and something we all should keep in mind whenever using ANY power tool---some hand tools as well. Eye protection should be at the top of that list---take it from a one-eyed guy.

I work with a small very low powered 8" table saw, have been using it for 15+ years. No guard, super careful at all times yet one day I dragged two fingers of my left hand across a spinning blade. Didn't lose anything but besides the pain and inconvenience I was mentally humiliated how stupid I could be--making such a rookie mistake this long into my previous thought of how carefully I work.

Its always the smallest of things we never think about that seem to trip us up. Things like long sleeves or jewelry such as rings, necklaces etc we wear every day and never think about when pulling the on switch.

Working alone has its own disadvantages so that too is another aspect to consider working on or around things.

And as I'm about to step off my soap box remember tool guards are in place for one huge reason--someone somewhere at sometime has injured themselves because they weren't installed or available at that time.

BE SAFE!!!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

Thanks for looking out for me brother
Old 09-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
...perhaps not easy, but certainly far better than a remote tow.

I finished up the Towbar this weekend, here's the thread I started this morning:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post261057
Old 10-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #16

The finished product!

Under the pressure of leaving for my Bonneville Salt Flats trip, I barely dressed up the welds, skipped making the grill I had planned, and hastily squirted on some satin black rattle can for now.

I will strip it down, maybe add some fog lights before I have it powder coated at a friend's shop in Sacramento
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
That last part can NOT be said enough times and something we all should keep in mind whenever using ANY power tool---some hand tools as well. Eye protection should be at the top of that list---take it from a one-eyed guy.

I work with a small very low powered 8" table saw, have been using it for 15+ years. No guard, super careful at all times yet one day I dragged two fingers of my left hand across a spinning blade. Didn't lose anything but besides the pain and inconvenience I was mentally humiliated how stupid I could be--making such a rookie mistake this long into my previous thought of how carefully I work.

Its always the smallest of things we never think about that seem to trip us up. Things like long sleeves or jewelry such as rings, necklaces etc we wear every day and never think about when pulling the on switch.

Working alone has its own disadvantages so that too is another aspect to consider working on or around things.

And as I'm about to step off my soap box remember tool guards are in place for one huge reason--someone somewhere at sometime has injured themselves because they weren't installed or available at that time.

BE SAFE!!!
How many of us unplug a power drill before changing bits? Take a look at the chuck key in this photo; it used to be straight, a 1/4" diameter steel pin about 5" long and a twisting cord did this to it. Fortunately, my fingers were NOT tangled in it at the time. I keep it as a reminder and, yes, I have had other power tool accidents in which I was not so lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5763.jpg