Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Does this stuff really work? Alumiweld

Not a welder, but I'm sure some of you guys must have tried this stuff. Does it really work well for joining aluminum? http://www.alumiweld.com

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Re: Does this stuff really work? Alumiweld

I've used it successfully. For me the hardest part was getting my parts clean enough. And, it can be hard to get enough heat into an aluminum part. And that is why they demo it on aluminum cans at car shows.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MacFam
Not a welder, but I'm sure some of you guys must have tried this stuff. Does it really work well for joining aluminum? http://www.alumiweld.com
Not all that well, and the joint is not as strong as the parent metal, unlike "real" welding. It's a zinc alloy and you have to scrub the "weld" line with the rod to scratch through the aluminum oxide in order to make a join.

However, you can torch weld aluminum, people have been doing it for a long time, for instance in home-built aircraft. This site https://www.tinmantech.com/index.php has tons of stuff about welding aluminum. Info, supplies, equipment, etc.

I wouldn't put any trust in something put together with Alumiweld, if it had to take any significant strain.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

I have used other aluminum welding rods (from Home Depot) with a propane torch to weld up antenna parts with good results. Granted the parts are not structural in nature but the welds have held for years. The real tuff part is getting the temperature right. The aluminum doesn't glow red like steel and if you get it a few degrees too hot, its a pool of goo.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
I have used other aluminum welding rods (from Home Depot) with a propane torch to weld up antenna parts with good results. Granted the parts are not structural in nature but the welds have held for years. The real tuff part is getting the temperature right. The aluminum doesn't glow red like steel and if you get it a few degrees too hot, its a pool of goo.
Not saying it doesn't work at all -- but it's not "welding" -- there is no fusion of the parent metal. It's really a way of soldering aluminum. If you think of it that way, as soldering, then any situation in which you would be comfortable with a soldered joint in steel or copper-based metal, should be OK with the aluminum stuff as well, provided you do a really good job of cleaning the joint and scraping it with the rod as you proceed.

If you want an actual **weld**, this isn't for you. In that case, you want TIG or the specialized rods and fluxes for torch welding aluminum, such as Tinmantech sells. TIG or torch weld will give you a joint that is as strong as the original parts.

Re melting parts, the problem is, in fact, that a h/w store propane torch isn't hot enough! It takes too long to bring the joint up to temperature, and by that time the heat is diffusing away from the joint into the parent metal, so you wind up having to heat a large section of the parts to near melting. If you use oxy/propane or oxy/acetylene, as you would to braze or weld steel, then the job is over before the heat migrates away, so much less danger of melting the parts. Practice on some scrap first, before you try to fix that expensive billet bit, though!
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #6

I used MAPP gas to 'weld' with Alumiweld. Propane won't work if the aluminum has any real mass.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote