Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Driver's Swivel Seat for 2010 Express/Savanna

Hey folks!

I'm new here, but not to modifying vehicles. I've had a variety over the years, but my newest project is a 2010 GMC Savanna AWD that I'll be modifying for use as a mobile office for my photo and video work out in the mountains.

I'm in the early prep phases, and want to get my front seats set up to swivel around so I can measure and determine spacing for a table/desk setup. I 100% NEED to have both seats swivel.

Now, some of you may be saying "AH HA! Do you research, there is an issue!" I assure you I too know this, and have been researching for a few days without luck. To summarize for those not aware: Sometime just before 2010 they moved the fuse box and some airbag relays and such under the driver's seat. Apparently this causes issues with spacing for swivels. FURTHER, swivel seats for the Savana/Express, especially later years, seem to be surprisingly rare, given it's just a few bits of metal.

My question is this: Can I buy a driver's side swivel seat for my van somewhere, and are they good quality? I undestand it might be pricey, that's fine.

If not, I suppose I'll need to commission one to be built.... ?

ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
GAR

This seems to be the best place to buy the swivel base. Put whatever seat ya like that will fit.

Van Seat Bases,Ford,Sprinter,Chevy,Dodge Seat Bases

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
This seems to be the best place to buy the swivel base. Put whatever seat ya like that will fit.

Van Seat Bases,Ford,Sprinter,Chevy,Dodge Seat Bases

Gar
Yeah, I had looked there... But I had seen someone here saying that they didn't like it and it was wobbly and poorly made? Maybe that was you even? haha.

And it says on it that it is 'not approved for seats with airbags' --- my 2010 Savana has side airbags and there is an airbag module under the seat... some sort of relay I imagine. I don't think there is an airbag IN the actual seat though.... is that what they mean? Or are they telling me I can't use it on my seat because there is an airbag relay under the seat?
ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
GAR

Yes, when they say, “not for seats with airbags,” they mean seats that have airbags inside the seat. I’ve not heard of any problems with these swivels, but I’ve not personally seen them either. These are probably what I will order and if they are low quality, I’ll modify them to my standard of quality. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ives View Post
Yeah, I had looked there... But I had seen someone here saying that they didn't like it and it was wobbly and poorly made? Maybe that was you even? haha.

And it says on it that it is 'not approved for seats with airbags' --- my 2010 Savana has side airbags and there is an airbag module under the seat... some sort of relay I imagine. I don't think there is an airbag IN the actual seat though.... is that what they mean? Or are they telling me I can't use it on my seat because there is an airbag relay under the seat?
Did you ever your seat?

I have been trying to do my own research without any luck
Big5f303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #6

For what it's worth, I have ordered a passenger seat swivel (2006 Ford E series) from discountvantruck. The "standard" style, not the "heavy duty" style, which I think are code for "OEM-like" and "in-house new design" respectively. (the main diff I see, other than the longer lead time, is that the "standard" style has a ton of usable room under it-- we usually put the first aid kit and jumpstarter there.

My experience: Served us well so far (3-4 years). You gotta remove some of the carpet padding due to the flat metal (fore-to-aft) base vs. the slightly raised in the middle of the stock base mount. (I haven't found a swivel that this isn't true for, though).

Also, I recently checked about ordering more, and I see what people mean about the guy that answered the phone not being in a great mode. (but no complaints about the product).

I'd like to support member 1der on here if I can wait long enough to order the new ones I need.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote