Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Duracel LED Work Lights as Cabin Lights

I just picked up a 3-pack of Duracell LED work lights from Costco that I'm going to use for cabin lights in my minimal camper build. They run off of three 1.5V batteries. My plan is to figure out the best placement while on battery power and then permanently wire them in with an appropriate DC voltage converter running off my house battery.

As lights go, they are very cost effective (three for $20, with batteries) and appear to be well-made:

https://www.costco.com/duracell-600-...100664991.html

I haven't tried them yet so they may need some form of DIY diffuser.

Worst case is that I have three nice work lights.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #2

600 lumens is gonna be some pretty serious light concentrated in one place. I think you may be right about diffusers. Looks like a good project though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #3

I just opened them up and installed some batteries. There are four settings, high, medium and low, plus flashing. High is pretty bright, low is OK in a dark room but I don't know about the van.

They're extremely well built and are many times better than any other LED work light I've owned. They have a fold out stand but no magnetic mount, although one could easily be added.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
It'll be pretty tough knowing how well they will--or will not--illuminate your space until they're actually installed.

The price was right on those lamps so here's hoping they're perfect for your use BCam!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

I picked Up a set of those a week ago. They have three brightness settings and the lowest one will be okay for cabin lighting.

I think the LED element would Also be dimmer compatible since it has the three brightness settings plus the flashing SOS.

The wiring up should be okay to a 5v outlet ????

It is the switch On the light that creates the issue since it is mounted on the back. Had they mounted the switch on the side or front face they would be an excellent choice.

In terms of use as a work light they are very nice, I used one for some under sink work and I really liked it. Feels well made.

Mounting can be done via adhesive backed Velcro.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

The back is connected with screws so it should be a simple thing to wire in another switch and, if I'm going to bypass the internal batteries, the switch can be on the incoming power wires.

Due to other priorities, I won't be installing them for a while and, since my build is for occasional, short-term use only I may just use them as is, perhaps with a Velcro mount as Ray suggests.

It's nice to find a well made product for a reasonable price. I think I'll pick up another set for work light use before Costco sells them out.

I don't know the color temperature, but they may also work as a video/photo light source.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #7

I was looking for some alternative options, but I found these recessed lights and I love them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have headliner they fit perfect and are 12v already. Here is my van:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5495.jpg