Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

E-Brake cable

I am thinking about hanging 2 auxiliary batteries to the outside frame rail drivers side, the only thing in my way is the emergency brake cable. It looks like it could easily be re-located to the bottom of the frame rail? Has anyone re-located their cable before?

Megalovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've never had need to do this but if you do undertake this make sure the new path doesn't bind or restrict the cable movement OR that you inadvertently shorten the cable thereby engaging the parking brake even slightly.

IF you find the cable has the e-brake shoes contacting the rotor it would be possible to adjust the shoes so this doesn't happen and you'd still have proper engagement when needed or wanted. You'd have to raise the van and remove the wheels to do this. Its not all that technically difficult but does require a bit of "heavy lifting". Of course if you're already wrestling batteries up to the frame rail this wouldn't be that difficult.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

One member just made some 1" spacers out of aluminum , then mounted the new battery boxes and left the cable in the stock position
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

Why don't you want them on the passenger side? There's no interference, and they you can just use factory boxes and mounting holes.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Since I don't currently have the body on the frame I am not sure how much clearance I would have to put a spacer behind the battery boxes? if there is enough room that seems to be the easiest way to go about it. Not having to reroute cable at all!!

I don't suppose anyone would know exactly how much room there is between the outside of the frame rail to the inside of the body?

BTW- 2010 E350 XLT Cargo, was a 6.0 diesel

Passengers side not an option...already 2 batteries hanging there!

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #6

My solution to the aux battery

1" tubing inside 1 1/4" tubing allows the battery tray to be lowered out for service. 4 years and no issues with the parking cable, I just wish I'd cut the battery cables 4" longer...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4977.jpg   IMG_4978.jpg   IMG_4979.jpg  
Old 02-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #7

Aux battery

Thanks for the pictures!!!

Looks like there is still a good 2-3 inches between the battery box and the body. That is awesome!

I was thinking about using Ford factory battery boxes and just duplicating whats already been done on the passengers side. I was just concerned that with a 1" spacer to allow for the e-cable I wouldn't have enough clearance to the body. Like I said earlier I don't have the body on the chassis right now so its difficult to get good measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200127_170753.jpg