Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
E-Series Ford Door Panel Removal

The following was performed on an '03 E250, Power Window & Power Door Locks (PW & PDL). Apart from removing the window crank on standard window regulators this is common for model years 1992 through at least 2008. Later years may be the same or similar however I have no direct experience with those models.

The exact order of the first steps isn't important though---this becomes apparent as we proceed. Left door is shown but procedure is similar for the right side as well.

Everything done here can certainly be accomplished with dedicated auto upholstery tools but they don't need to be expensive. Used here is the Lisle #35400; cheap, readily available at most auto part retailers or online. Fact is a good metal kitchen spoon would work.

Onward then............

Fully assembled door, yellow outlines denote four (4) screws that need to be removed, access first requires removal of three interior trim pieces numbered in green:

First off is the upper black trim panel covering the mirror mounting bolts. Fingers alone will work here as long the top clip pops loose first. Once free at the top it simply lifts straight up so the bottom tab clears the door panel.

The first of four (4) screws to be removed is now visible and accessible:

Closer view of this panels attachment clip & tab:

Next are interior door handle and PDL/ PW switch trim panels, no particular order. Notice there are small notches in each allowing use of the lifting tool:

As this assembly is lifted upward the lower rear portion contacts the underside of the armrest, resisting further removal. Beoing persistent but gentle continue lifting it out, slightly careful to not damage attached wiring. Once the switch body has cleared the armrest the entire assembly is now slid backward and free from the main door panel. Its supported by the wires alone as its light, won't stress the wire harness at this point.

The second of four (4) screws to be removed now visible and accessible:

Now the interior handle trim, also with a small opening to ease removal:

Once the front clips are popped loose lift outward just enough to allow the panel to slide forward so the rear tabs clear the larger panel:

Once the front clips are out, raise the door handle enough so this panel slides forward and free, the rear tabs clearing the main panel . The third of four (4) screws to be removed now visible and accessible:

Fourth screw, located bottom rear:

The main panel is now free to be pulled straight upward in order to free its top edge from the inner glass weather strip:

Normal:

Lifted and free at the top:

As the main panel is lifted free the PDL & PW assembly is pushed down through the opening in the armrest. As you continue lifting the panel and pulling slightly outward at the same time this easily slides through the opening:

FYI The main panel is retained in place by the already-removed screws, the top edge fitting into the weather strip and the pictured tabs. These serve to pull it tight to the door shell:

Closer view:

They fit into these punched openings:

Points marked as A on both main panel and door shell are for orientation.

Please note the plastic sheet is firmly attached, its main purpose is to reduce wind through the door shell into the interior. They are NOT available for replacement (unless I've been mislead by my dealer) and need to be carefully handled if they need to be removed.

If the applied adhesive no longer holds it to the door shell any weather-resistant tape can be used to reattach it. Don't underestimate the importance of this too often overlooked feature---it was originally installed for good reason!

Reassembling is just reverse order of removal. Be advised its possible the PD and/or PDL's might not function after assembly, on just one side if both panels have been removed/reinstalled. This is due one or more wires have been slightly dislodged, not a huge problem.

Simply remove the offending switch panel once again, jostle wires leading into the particular lost function switch and eventually you'll find the loose wire. This might seem a somewhat crude approach but nothing more complicated is necessary. Operation shouldn't fail again since nothing typically acts on those connections; if they fail again you'll know where to begin troubleshooting.

If anyone can add a few images of handle removal for non-powered windows it would be a nice addition here.

Hope this is just a bit helpful!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Re: E-Series Ford Door Panel Removal

Great how-to post! Thanks for all the pics.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Yep, thx JWA!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Great post, Thanks for all this nice pics

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #5

I did a similar disassembly job on my 2004 last year to install tweeter speakers in the doors.

-- Geoff
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
JWA

Geoff that's a spectacular job----we're collectively the Kings of Door Panels huh?

Seriously I like your handy work and hope I added to the whole door panel thing, not just added more blather and sucked up bandwidth!

J W
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #7

Nice thread. Clearly written and informative. Photos with notations are well done. Thanks for putting in the time.
bbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdd
Nice thread. Clearly written and informative. Photos with notations are well done. Thanks for putting in the time.
Thank ya Sir----nice of you to say! Typically I'm on another site with a Ford Van specific forum, thought this would make a nice addition to the tech folder there. It seemed something useful here too.

Geofff that's a very nice post on your stereo upgrade. I'll be doing a smaller scale upgrade at some point myself, perhaps adding much better speakers than my Polk Audio 5x7's, thinking a 6.5 JL Audio of some sort. A better power amp would accompany those, undecided about subs though---spare room is more important than booming lows!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Finally put some new speakers in my doors today. I was procrastinating because of removing the door panels. This post made it way to easy!! Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370303000.124992.jpg  
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
JWA

Glad anyone finds this helpful---that first time can seem far more daunting than it really is. I'll be upgrading my stereo which requires running a heavier wire to the door speakers--I may do something on that only because I'll be using WeatherPack connectors. That might prove interesting to anyone as anal about wiring as I am?!

I'm also in the process of upgrading my '03 dual element power mirrors to the '07 style. This adds a single larger mirror eliminating the lower useless element, giving me more confidence in what I'm seeing. This will include heater elements too as I've found that a very, very useful feature that's never been an option----at least that I'm aware of so far.