Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

E150 4.6L? Starting w/ the chassis...

Hi All -

Planning to source my own chassis for a 4x4 conversion. Are there prevailing thoughts on doing so with a 2010 Ford E-150 and specifically the 4.6L?

I don't plan on rock crawling but do need to get to the ski hill and it seems to meet my towing needs. Will this be under-powered?

Before proceeding I figured best to get input from the community. Am I going to regret this down the road if I do it?

Thanks in advance.

NomadYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

I am interested in this answer but have nothing to contribute.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

The chassis of the 150 got beefed up in 2008 or 2009 so you should be good there. The 4.6 will need some gearing help if you build out your van or tow much. Most people run a 285 (33") tire with their conversions and I think you would want minimum 4.56 gears if you have an interior built out and even steeper if you plan on towing.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

With 225hp/286tq, it's definitely not going to win any races... my earlier 5.4 only makes something like 250hp/350tq and, while just adequate, I certainly would not have been happy with less. By the time you've converted to 4x4 (which will usually end up with larger tires) the 4.6 will likely end up getting worse mileage than a larger engine would have, literally having no benefit over having just started with a larger engine.

My $.02: hold out for at least a 5.4, and if you ever intend to tow more than say 6,000lbs, I'd vote for a V10.
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #5

Thanks all.

I had found a very clean 30k mile E150 but my gut was telling me what you have confirmed.

Keep hunting....
NomadYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #6

I didn't want to dissuade you but I'm glad you're going to keep hunting. There are millions of 5.4's out there. I'd shoot for that.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The E150's after '08 were definitely just E250's with different markings---that model designation disappeared soon after.

For me even without running a 4x4 conversion the smallest motor I'd want would be the 5.4. I'm not convinced that even "lighly loaded" the 4.6 is a good match for the E-Series chassis.

When I was searching for a new-to-me van I found a lot of4.6's but I kept looking, sooner or later one will pop up for sale. I haunt eBay sales and was prepared to travel a bit for the right van. One a mere 350 miles showed up, had it bought within the week. Patience!

Good luck with your hunt---
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #8

Good project!

I don’t know much but I do know that although a Quigley 4x4 conversion is not a first choice for many on this forum (for valid reasons) Quigley as a company does not do conversions on less that a 5.4 Ford V8 (personally I can’t explain the reason). Sounds like you’ve gotten supporting advice on here!
You’ll find the right chassis and I’ll look forward to reading about your work
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
I don’t know much but I do know that although a Quigley 4x4 conversion is not a first choice for many on this forum (for valid reasons) Quigley as a company does not do conversions on less that a 5.4 Ford V8 (personally I can’t explain the reason). Sounds like you’ve gotten supporting advice on here!
You’ll find the right chassis and I’ll look forward to reading about your work
I'm from the old school where bigger was better (CID-wise that is ) so the idea of a 280 CID powering a 4x4 conversion on an E-Series chassis is just downright scary. I know gearing is beneficial and that the Ford Modular Motors like higher RPM's that's just just too tiny an engine, IMHO understand.

Of course my idea of why someone needs or wants 4x4 might be completely wrong or goes against the bulk of reasons why its desirable. Still that's a lot of drive train to keep in motion, anything smaller than a 5.4 just not the best choice.

I use an on-line VIN decoder but will also call my local Ford dealer to double-check their info on any one VIN. Sadly there's no way to simply look at a Ford E-Series motor and know its CID---except for the V10 of course.

Get the 5.4 and don't look back--its a better engine for your project.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

I drive a 4.6 powered 2wd conversion van and road trip it a lot, from Texas mostly to NM, CO UT and AZ. Loaded with camping gear the power is adequate, and I enjoy 20+ mpg on the highway, but I have to the think that the extra weight of 4wd, larger tires and taller stance would be the proverbial straw... I wouldn't go larger than a 30" tire and 2" lift, and keep it 2wd.

Tags
4x4 conversion, chassis, e150