Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #41

Tearing into the parts van

I've been tearing into the parts van a bit.

I have to tell you, I am NOT impressed by how these things are put together. It makes me appreciate tackling this job by myself at home even more.

There is nothing close to a roll cage built in by the way.

I like the cabinet hardware, but the storage area is way too small, such a waste of space. I may salvage the hardware to use on new cabinets.

The door panels are very cheap. I may just use them as a template to make new panels and flip down shelves.

The upper panels around the windows with the blinds are cool, but they are so brittle from aging and UV exposure. I'm trying to brainstorm how I could coat them in bedliner or something else to toughen them up. They will be super-easy to transfer to the other van though, so that's cool.

I'm getting close to starting to rip out the windows. Any tips?

I like this smaller heater with the ducting better than the larger heater/ A/C that was in my van. Should I salvage it instead of the large ceiling mounted unit?

Should I post in the marketplace for any leftover parts people might need before I junk it? My mechanic is going to give me $200-250 for it and fill it up with engines, transmissions, etc, before taking it to the scrap yard. I can't use any of the 1/2 ton stuff, engine or transmission. It ran fine except for losing all of the power steering fluid on the way home...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180928_212927.jpg   IMG_20180928_212918.jpg   20180928_170930.jpg   20180928_170921.jpg  

rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #42
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Very few conversion vans by larger converters were what any of us would consider high quality builds. They were intended to look snazzy, have a lot of geee-whiz features and hopefully fetch a hefty price for the dealers. 99% of buyers thought they were worth the selling price.

Take your time removing the windows---they should be held to the body with a trim ring inside secured with screws. A lot of times the screw heads will strip so use a new bit and push hard against them. If a few strip most any sheet metal screw of the same diameter and length will work as replacement.

Remove all screws except for one or two and have someone on the outside gently hold the window in place while you remove the last screws---this is just a precaution, it probably won't just fall out and hit the ground. Using a small pry tool and starting at the bottom ease the window frame away from the body, progressing slowly until you've loosened in all the way around.

Before reinstalling the window make sure the back side of the mounting flange is completely cleaned of all sealant, etc---you want to start fresh with the new install.

Not sure what heater you have or what came with the parts van---I would "assume" they're of equal BTU and CFM output so which ever suits your space requirements should be used. Be sure the one you keep has replacement parts still available--there should be brand and model number info on both of them. Research the 'net for what's still available.

Door panels---those from the parts van will make great templates if they're not re-usable. When I make mine out of plywood I use the cheapest Ford parts used on the base stock E-Series. Hole and cut out placement is perfect for the door shells so that's a plus.

Not sure how you'd re-had the upper window trim you mention---would some sort of fiberglass resin gel work if applied thinly? Maybe some fiberglass matting adhered to the back sides with the typical resin and hardener, much like repairing a boat or pop top? Once done a good automotive upholstery fabric would go a long way towards hiding anything not so pretty?

Anyway hope some of this ^^^ is useful--looking forward to your progress!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #43

dog house/engine cover?

I went to put the doghouse into my van and realized there is a huge weight difference between the two. I'm guessing there is a difference between the gas and diesel dog house engine covers?

The gas one actually said gas on it... see pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_142006.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	23003
Old 09-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #44
Orv

Garage
More sound deadening for the diesel, maybe?
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #45

All done with the parts van

Done. Getting hauled away today or tomorrow. Stripped it pretty clean.
Attached Thumbnails
20180930_130605.jpg   20180930_211730.jpg   20180930_130601.jpg  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #46
JWA

Before it goes and if you have time remove as much of the remaining factory glass as you can. Rear doors, front doors and the glass run channels surrounding the glass as it travels up and down in the door shell.

Might not seem important at the moment but most all original factory glass is much MUCH better than any aftermarket replacement pieces. I'm in that business so know of what I speak!
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #47

It's still in my driveway as of this morning. If it's still there this evening, I'll grab the rest of the glass. Anything else I should grab from the parts van? (No, I'm not dropping the transmission or getting the engine out)

I passed on the heater system. Didn't feel like dealing with the antifreeze coming into the heater core of it...
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #48

That van looks pretty clean, it's a shame to see it go to the wreckers. Too bad you don't have time or space to really part it out, there are a lot of desirable parts there. Most of the vans in my local wrecking yards are so picked over, there are few if any useful parts left. On my last trip, on the way home I hit four different yards looking for little stuff like door seals, threshold plastics, dash vents, door panels etc, and came away empty handed.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #49

Yeah, My mechanic that is going to scrap it for me even felt weird about scrapping it due to the fact that it still runs and drives and only has 112k miles on the clock.

But, I only spent $600 on it, and I've probably pulled at least $1500 worth of stuff out of it that I won't have to buy or spend time in a junk yard for.

I might grab some random dash stuff along with the glass if it's still in my driveway later. If anyone sees something they actually want, let me know. I can still get at it when it's at my mechanic's shop.

I'll be happy to get it out of my yard so the wife is happy and I'll stop having the urges to pick it over more...

Overall, it's been a very educational experience and I've used the opportunity to tear into some things like the wiring harness to understand things better. I also tried to see how I would use a slim jim to pop the lock if I ever need to... (I don't think I can!, the lock structure is angled to prevent it!)

My chopping list yet:
-all glass, window guides, window motors
-vents, random dash stuff
-spare tire? I don't really need it, won't fit my 1 ton van
-more door seals, etc.
-grill?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #50
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm115 View Post
Overall, it's been a very educational experience and I've used the opportunity to tear into some things like the wiring harness to understand things better. I also tried to see how I would use a slim jim to pop the lock if I ever need to... (I don't think I can!, the lock structure is angled to prevent it!)
My buddy the professional lock smith would greatly disagree with you there. I've watched him pop my own locks---15 seconds and he's collecting his fee.

Tearing something apart does me a world of good too---seeing how things fit together does help taking them apart if needed in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm115 View Post
My chopping list yet:
-all glass, window guides, window motors
-vents, random dash stuff
-spare tire? I don't really need it, won't fit my 1 ton van
-more door seals, etc.
-grill?
That's a good list. I'd remove as much or as many complete Ford wiring harnesses--the connectors alone are worth the effort IMHO. I use other types and styles for my electrical projects but really prefer the Ford. BTW those are easily stowed or "collected" for us casual hoarders.

Wife'll be happy her driveway is clear once again.