Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #51

I'd love to watch a locksmith pop that lock when I can actually see what's going on inside! I never claimed to be a pro! I just tried with some bent coat hanger type wire.

rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 AM   #52
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm115 View Post
I'd love to watch a locksmith pop that lock when I can actually see what's going on inside! I never claimed to be a pro! I just tried with some bent coat hanger type wire.
None of us are pro's at locksmithing---didn't mean to imply that at all.

IIRC he simply used a hard foam wedge to gently open a gap between the door glass and shell, slipped his Slim Jim downward feeling for something until he found it and pulled upward to release the lock. Easy as that huh?

We could buy one of those ultra cheap lock out kits, remove the inner door panel and see how it all works together. But if most are like me if they kept those tools inside and we're locked out---what then?

I have one of those magnetic key holder cases sitting between the frame rail and body near the left rear tire. Too many times I've needed it, somehow after the first time or two I'm better at remembering to make sure I have an entry key in hand before locking the doors now.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #53

Progress Report

Any progress is still progress...

Installed the wood trim dash out of the donor van
Installed both front door panels from the donor van. Less storage, but better looking.
I have the seat set in place. It might be a little close to the back of the front seats, but I can move it again later if need be.

I need to wash out the interior floor and prep it for bedlining. It might get too cold to get that done before spring... Can't fit the van in the garage.

Once I get the seats installed, I next step is probably stopping by a race shop and see about that propper roll cage. Then to Mt. Zion off road to discuss bedlining the entire exterior and a possible limited slip addition...
Attached Thumbnails
20181104_163950.jpg   20181104_163957.jpg   20181104_164003.jpg  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #54
JWA

A little progress is indeed better than none at all!

I'm dragging my feet on getting my '05 high top road ready--after a reman'd engine and transmission I'm just not that motivated to do a lot. Winter's on the way so that's another excuse I can use..................
Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I have one of those magnetic key holder cases sitting between the frame rail and body near the left rear tire. Too many times I've needed it, somehow after the first time or two I'm better at remembering to make sure I have an entry key in hand before locking the doors now.
I used to be a road rep driving 60,000 miles a year and making several stops per day, and one lockout is all it took for me to modify my behavior. I had a spare plain flat key made (no thick plastic head like the stocker) and made it my left pocket key, always in my "other" pocket when on the job.

On chip key vehicles where spares cost a bunch I simply had a non-chip blank used to make a lockout key that will unlock the doors for me although it will not run the vehicle. This I keep hidden on the vehicle in case I need it.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #56
Orv

Garage
I've always favored the magnetic keyholder technique. I like to sand the markings off it so it's just a black box. Once it's under there long enough to get a bit grimy it blends right in.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #57

My Dad locked the keys in the trunk on a road trip once so this issue hits home for me.

When I travel I thread a spare key through my shoelace. I drive shoe free so when I get out at a toilet or fuel stop I have to put my shoes on.

Key is always with me.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #58

addressing internal rust

Addressing the internal rust. Cleaning up the bubbles and mud, I found some light surface rust underneath. Just taking the wire brush and sandpaper to it all, then I will hit it with rust reformer.

Unfortunately, it is probably too cold to complete my DIY bedliner for the interior. I may look into having it professionally done so I don't have to wait until april to get it done...

Any thoughts on addressing the rust and bedlining during the winter months?
Attached Thumbnails
20181114_081343.jpg   20181114_081345.jpg   20181114_081349.jpg  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #59
JWA

Your interior surface rust isn't of great concern but good to take care of it now. I'm a huge fan of POR-15 materials so that'd be my first and really only suggestion. Not sure how your winters are but if the inside metal surfaces are kept at 55-60* during application and curing that should be sufficient for a good bond. You'd want those temps maintained for at least 24 hours continuously if possible. If that's not possible 4-5 hours would work well too.

I'd use a wire wheel on an angle grinder to clean the rust away, heavier rusted areas perhaps taken down to bare metal. Clean all areas to be coated according to directions using suggested cleaners before applying the POR-15.

If the front area will be covered with the factory matting and its usual backing I'd use something like a radiant barrier insulation sandwich of foil on one side, bubble wrap in the middle and PVC on the opposite side--foil side glued to the metal floor. This will separate the moisture absorbent factory mat backing from the metal floor preventing most surface rust in the future.

HTH
Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #60

what's this? an update?

Not sure what order the pictures will show up in.

I addressed all the floor rust on the interior, primed, and bedlined the entire interior.

I had excess roll-on bedliner, so I bedlined the front bumper too. I also removed the huge pull bar they had welded in place.

painted the grill with rattle can bedliner and added my own 3d-printed personal logo grille emblem.

My father helped me bolt the brackets in place for the rear transit seats. I have 1/4" steel plate overlapping the frame edge in some spots and provided a HUGE "washer" if not. That seat is not going anywhere!

rubber flooring showed up this week. working on rubber flooring then cheapo interlocking foam for a replaceable soft floor for the passenger areas.

Also replaced stock headlights with these: (these are not affiliate links)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and corner light lenses with these:

and got the Led bulbs for the front turn signals

and heavy duty flasher

thinking of doing a hanging shelf organizer in the back like this one from outsidevan: https://www.outsidevan.com/option/osv-hanging-shelves/

right now all that vertical space is going to waste when I load the van...
Attached Thumbnails
20190403_184728.jpg   20190406_182755.jpg   20190414_222421.jpg