Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #91

Re: East Coast Ground up

I imagine if your wife can put up with your van shenanigans for the past year, 6 weeks will be a cake walk!

lynnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnski
I imagine if your wife can put up with your van shenanigans for the past year, 6 weeks will be a cake walk!
vananigans

Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #93

Hahaha I am a LUCKY MAN... Let the Vananagans commence. 23 days to go.....Lets see cabinets doors and curtains left... This may just be ready..
P
Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #94

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope you don't have a patent on your sofa bed idea because I pretty much copied the frame to the T (it's a great idea, what can I say). I am still wrapped around your bed lid idea. After looking at it further, I've noticed that the top lid closest to the side of the van is shorter than the frame, and the other two pieces sit on top of it (more or less). When you're ready to sleep, you just bring the piece out and voila!

I'm wondering how it's a lid when the bed is not in use and how you latch it down, or do you? I've made my frame only 20" wide, so your concept may be a bit tough for me since I need it to fold out to 46". But I really like your idea and trying to figure it all out. Thanks
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #95

No worries. I am flattered. So the back bottom piece is the same msrmnt as back rest. top piece is width of seat cushion, also same dims of box. No fastening needed I screwed a 3x3x 3/4ply blocking to corner of rear bottom and a strip of wood for top piece to sit on when pulled out so no sag. Top piece also has blocks to prevent fwd slide when set up as couch. Putting the aluminum 3/4 molding found at lowes helps protect box edging and slide easy. not to much $$.
I can take more detailed pics over weekend if you like.
You may run into a problem with 20" box but hinging a piec that's hight of back may work too then slide out. It will cantilever in sitting position though..
Good luck, let me know about pics...
Paul
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #96

Ok, I see now. Dang, I always thought that there was a hinge in there somewhere. My van is a cargo van first, RV second, so I can't loose too much space, but wish I would have made it just a bit wider now that I understand your idea better. I'm not sure if a hinge would compromise it's strength and buckle when two ppl lay on it, but I guess I can try it out. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #97

Dude
Upon reading your post again had a thought. My box is about 3"away from van wall due to convex wall. I just cut a piece of ply into it to prevent loosing something in the abyss.. You may use that space to your advantage with the extra width. Then only a 3-4" cantilever...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #98

I have to leave for work in a min. But yet another thought. How about a piano hinge cantilever then fold back when a cargo van. seat may be a lil cocked but youll keep the shallow width. Or sacrifice sides and cut longer and redo width...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #99

Bought 2 piano hinges to try it with already. I had already thought about cutting the width, but that means I'd have to redo the bottom too. Trust me, I've been thinking hard about what I should do.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #100

Have you done a thorough test of the bed design yet? After thinking about using 1/2", I started to think it would bend a bit when there are two people on it. I understand each person will essentially be on their own piece of wood, but just thought I'd ask. I have some extra 3/4 laying around and was going to use that, but I know that will be super heavy.