Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #41

Re: East Coast Ground up

Top came in 6 days early from Fiberine. Shipping company was paid extra for a 9/11 yet they delivered 9/5 DAMAGED !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
photo22 (800x600).jpg  

Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #42

Worst damage was to crack thru gel coat dead center front. Reverse flange damaged. Multiple chips and scratches..
Attached Thumbnails
photo24 (800x600) (800x600) (2).jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #43

Probably due to (I'll try and keep it clean) unhappy shippers using fork lift.
Attached Thumbnails
photo25 (800x600) (2).jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #44

Waited almost 2 weeks for claims dept of shipping company so I went ahead and found a local fiberglass boat guy. $1100 later good as new. Now my complaints. Fiberine was paid $290 for a shipping crate, on top of the $3100 for the top. What I got was 3-2x4s and crossed with 4 pieces of cheap spruce. Their response was "We ship internationally to mexico and canada without a problem. Send us a check and we will build another and you can file a claim with the shipper" I am not a violent man but if I was in the same room, I might have been...I install in 2 days. She better fit.
Now to fight for the claim from the shipping company that charged me $720..
Attached Thumbnails
photo31 (800x600) (2).jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #45

Sorry to hear about your top damage and the bs that went along with it...

It looks like the boat place did a great job fixing it so you should be all set to put it on...

As for the van the windows, bumper and board rack (good idea btw) they all look really good...

Oh by the way its nice to see someone painting the places where they cut metal like you did on your basement box...

Good luck on your claim...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #46

Thanks Jamie. Cutting her open tomorrow.. *Fingers and toes crossed*
It is sad that in this economy businesses don't take more care in their product to ensure return customers or word of mouth. I am self employed, have been 11 years and advertised 3 times in print. Saw nothing back then and I'm doing fine on referrals. Their wont be any from me regarding Fiberine..
All it would have taken was a "Crate" worthy of $290- to ensure a safe trip. It was nothing more than a pallet. Aluminess on the other hand took great care in their shipping containers. And at no extra charge I might add, albeit it was an expensive product. I knew that going in to this..
That's my rant. Now moving on...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #47

As someone who spends a lot of time inside a large multinational shipping company airport ramp facility I'd say the damage to your shipping container was caused by the shipping company loading something on top of your crate. The crate build is not near stout enough to support the weight of another pallet loaded on top of it. Another possibility is the fork lift driver was trying to slide it across the ground with the tip of his forks and pushed it into another piece of freight crushing the top of one end and breaking the lower wood cross piece on the other end.

The more I look at the damage I'd probably go with option number 2. The forklift driver was probably trying to manouver the piece lengthwise inside a trailer by sliding it on the ground with his forks. It's pretty common to see damage caused that way when the tips of the fork slip off the wood and puncture the freight. Did you see any fork tip puncture wounds? That's always a dead give away.

Keep up the good work on your build. It's looking sweet!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #48

Thanks John. #2 is absolutely correct. I would have thought the would have at least dbl up on the spruce at either end. That would have supported enough.
Thanks for your compliment. Its a fun build. This was just an aggravating set back. Hearing now it can be up to 120 days for refund IF they deem it their fault....
We will see.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
Site Team

I don't know which would make me more mad, the shiping company taking up to 120 days, or Fiberline's attitude. Who 'contracted' the shiping company, you or Fiberline? If it was Fiberline, in my non-legal mind, I would think it would be up to Fiberline to make things right, and then for them to take it up with the shipping company.

If I hire a contractor, and they sub out some of the work, I'm holding the contractor accountable for the proper execution of ALL work.

I realize and recorgnize you need to get your project done, so I'm full onboard with what you did to make that happen. When companies don't take accountability, it just pushes my buttons.

Herb
Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #50

They contracted the shipper But I had to pay them directly. That probably gets them off the hook.. Shipper returns calls but their claims dept have not.. Sit and wait...
No recommendation will ever be heard from me regarding their business practice..
Thanks