Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #51

Re: East Coast Ground up

kudos to you for doing what you needed to get the build to progress. and kudos to you for (at least on this forum) at least appearing to have a level head about the treatment you received from both companies.

if i can make a suggestion...

the internet is your friend. while i dont use twitter, that alone can make things uncomfortable for both companies and you might find yourself on the receiving end of a refund or better.

online review sites also are powerful. even facebook.

until last month, i managed a business for 8 years. it was up to me to not only run it but market it and assure outstanding customer service. so i was quite sensitive to stories or articles about how people got satisfaction from apathetic companies when the internet community was informed. we had grown our online presence nicely and it was very rewarding to receive good compliments online.

i cant overstate the importance of the internet really. in the 8 years i was with them, i saw our source of referrals or "contact" go from being 90% yellow pages (which cost us 35k a year) to 90% online with yellow pages almost becoming extinct.

to me as a manager, even the threat of something negative going online about my company would keep me on my toes. fortunately for me and the business i managed, i was confident that it would be unusual for us to receive negative attention if at all.

treat others better than you wish to be treated yourself. a concept that is sadly lost upon most companies (and people).

_________

i like what you did with the ladders btw. i think hanging bikes off the side is an interesting idea as well. as long as the handlebars and maybe pedals could be folded or removed.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi1960
Thanks John. #2 is absolutely correct. I would have thought the would have at least dbl up on the spruce at either end. That would have supported enough.
Thanks for your compliment. Its a fun build. This was just an aggravating set back. Hearing now it can be up to 120 days for refund IF they deem it their fault....
We will see.
I would think half that time would get an investigation done and a claim paid would be more than "acceptable".

If they totally fail to respond to you, after about 90 days consider a small claims action. I despise going to court, but had a similar situation as yours. The summons to court brought them around to negotiate. Small claims court would be perfect for this instance. You have plenty of pictures, did you keep any of the crating material?

I also think posting the names of ALL companies involved here may get you some attention. I too work in marketing and one of my jobs is google searching my clients everyday looking for forums and blogs with items just like this to be solved.

Good luck anyway you choose!
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #53

A quick word on Fiberine, up until recent they were a wholesale only operation. If you have worked with them personally you will know this is a mom and pop type company. They stand to make very little on the public showing up to their door wanting one top, or shipping one across the country for that matter.

We in the van community are very fortunate that they have changed their procedures. Rather than paying 30+% more that Discount Truck and Van or Sportsmobile would charge us. We are able to go source it out from under them right to their supplier.

So there might be some bumps in the road for us do it yourselfers, but that's the liability that other companies take that we don't see...
Your issue is with the shipping company, no crating will protect you from a irresponsible fork lift driver.
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #54

Been slacking on posts, Had to toke GlobalTranz to small claims and was turned away to now go after the shipping company THEY hired.. Such BS but I dont roll over and go away that easy. As far as Fiberine, Gonsalo has been great as far as email responses backing up their crate but that doesnt get back the $1100 im out repairing the damage. I could go on and on about the BS this has caused me but alas I wont...
I have installed the top and just got two more custom surfbaord racks from Aluminess. Kenny was great at customizing a pair to mount on the side of the top. Ill be installing tomorrow when the temp hits 45F here..
Any suggestions on
#1 Hot water heaters. I was looking at this tankless one.
http://www.adventurerv.net/girard-tankl ... 27164.html
I plan on an outside shower in back and galley hot water.
#2 Refrigerater..
Im a bit nervous about the whole propane install. I cant seem to get the hang of searching specific installs for DIY. Dont want to get to far ahead and have to rip out...
Spring will be when I get going on the interior..
Thanks for all the hel so far. Plan is CC trip 9/13.....Giggity....
Paul
Old 01-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #55

Wife taking the high road to supervise...
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #56

Top is on, Thanks to Kenny and the guys at Aluminess I have custom HiTop surf hooks... Now I'll be sure to have the right stik for the right wave...
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #57

Cut down the IKEA sofa bed to give better view out window and more floor room by having it closer to the wall. Will need to rebuild the platform to get it closer to the wall and also add a large drawer..

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #58

The top looks great! Which Ikea Sofa/bed did you start with? Lately I've been planning something similar. Do you have it installed yet? I'm curious how you have it configured.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #59

Here is a pic of before I cut back down 4". I'll be making a new pedistal with a large drawer and possible battery storage. It opens easily and still gives 48" sleeping and plenty of clearence for galley. I like the walk thru design. It was only $129 with a mattress which btw is comfy. The blue cover was another $40 and is made for a larger futon but my wife will cut it down.I am also cutting legs off as they serve no purpose now.
Hope this helps..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #60

Also, its about 72" or74" long.. Fortunately I have an EB..