Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #81
Site Team

Re: East Coast Ground up

I hope I'm not opening up old wounds, but given some recent discussion on this forum regarding Fiberline tops got me wondering if you were ever able to resolve the issue with the shipping company that delivered your top?

Herb

Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #82

Hi Herb. I did after a court appearance with the shipping company we settled out of court for 800 out of the $1100 I spent. Terrible experience but I must say I love the top and Fiberine was supportive but only in regards to defending their shipping crate..
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #83

Im having a difficult time resizing pics to post. Build out is coming along great. Cabinets sanded and ready for poly tomorrow. I purchased a Vermont brand whey based no Vox poly. All systems are running great.... Hope this album helps anyone building out as all the posts here have helped me. In a week it will be a year since I purchased Great White and began my dream build. My wife and I leave in 28 days for a 6 week cross country trip... Giggity....
https://plus.google.com/photos/11786510 ... n__5p_reKw
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #84

Wow, what an AMAZING build! I went through every picture and extremely impressed with your conversion. Since I am in the middle of designing a bed, do you happen to have plans for that idea, or can you help explain how you did it? Looks like it hinges a couple of times, but I'm interested in how you can hinge it the way that you did without loosing any structural integrity.

Any help would be great. BTW, the outdoor shower idea is pretty wicked! (thought I'd throw in some New England slang for ya, ha)
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #85

^^^ +1 on that! Really, really nice and clean build. It's obvious you're doing everything the right way.

I'm hoping to add an external shower to my van, but not sure I'm brave enough to cut a hole in my sidewall.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #86

Dude. Its a simple design. Bed box made with 3/4 Birch ply. Covered top edge with aluminum edging from Lowes. Base of bed is 1/2 inch ply. Bottom is same width as back of couch, Top 1/2 inch same as seat of couch ( also same dimensions of bed box). Made hand hold, simply slide out, The bottom drops in to make even with a support to keep flush and have three drop down hinged legs, Bought hinges online, used 2x2 stock for legs, they drop down to support cantilever as it needed support. I also put square blocking in each front corner to keep in place when a couch. Takes less than a minute to set up and break down.
In Bahstahn we call it "Whicked Pissah"
Hope this helps. I originally had an Ikea jack knife couch $129- that is in album. I had cut it down in back and welded but after living with it over winter decided to go this route and saved 5" of floor room. We did reuse mattress and my wife glued 1/4" luann to bottom added 2" memory foam we had from our RV bed and upholstered in green.
Good luck with your build...
Cheers
Paul
Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #87

Shower was an easy install. I got used to cutting holes at this point. Originally I was putting inside on back cabinet to be used with rear doors open. Scratched that idea due to this being easier access and no wet van. Tankless water heater is awesome. Water heats immediately and no waste of propane heating a tank of water for a quick shower or to wash dishes....
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #88

Thanks for the info bodhi! I'll have to work on that idea this week! Also, thanks for correcting my lack of NE slang, ha.
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #89

Great pics in the album. Looks like there's a lot of hard work in the build. Let us know where your headed on your trip, especially if you headed South.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #90

Well Yesterday was exactly one year since we picked up GW. Sunday we applied a Whey based polyethylene to all base cabinets. Vermont Coatings is the brand, went on nice two coats and no sanding between coats. And NO VOCs.... Made all frames for cabinet doors today. Then all we have to do is make curtains.... 24 days till we head out across this great country in a 66 sq ft home for 6 weeks.. Time to see how much my wife loves me, or should I say tolerates...
Paul