Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

"Eduardo" -2003 Chevrolet Quigley IFS 4x4 build

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for a while looking for good ideas. Figured I'd ask to join the crowd now.

I recently purchased a 2003 chevy express 3500 window van. It has quigley IFS 4x4 system with no added lift which is what I wanted. It was proudly used to haul convicts so it is set up like a cargo van. I guess they had an additional cage inside and all the rear Windows and door lock s have been covered. I'll be changing those back to stock and cleaning it up add much as i can.

I'm hoping to end at something a bit like 86 Scottys van. I actually wanted his but I wanted the 4x4 and a slightly different layout. My goal is to create a weekend escape vehicle for 5. When I can I will do a CCV pop top for at least two big beds in the van.

I'll be adding seating for 7(in case those grandparents or random friends care to join in the fun). I found a wrecked express conversion Van and pulled all the seats for it. I'm looking to put the sofa bed in the back with a shelf to extend the sleeping area. Captains chairs just fore of that and leave the middle as the galley area. I'll look to add a small sink, fridge or cooler, and hopefully a small microwave. Any other cooking would be done outside on a small propane stove.

If anyone has done a layout like this is love to see some pics for inspiration.

First changes I've made were a set of 4x4 stickers to toughen up the image of the van. I don't want it to look like a creeper vehicle.
Then a set of chevy polished aluminum wheels with oversized 265/75/16 tires. I almost went with 285s. I tried them on but it was close enough that I thought they would rub. And I don't really want to trim the fenders.

Pics are in my gallery. If I figure out how to resize them on my phone I'll at them to the posting.

stevengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #2

Re: 2003 Chevrolet Quigley IFS 4x4 build

I'm honored. Keep is posted on your build.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

I really would have liked your s 86 scotty. I just wanted the 4x4 and the Cost to at it to yours was a bit step for my budget.

I installed a class 4 hitch today. A local used one for a good deal. Pretty straight forward. I would definitely say just do it yourself. It was simple.

Now I'm hoping the trailer brake Controller will be plug and play.

Any recommendations for a chevy van?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

I'm finally resurrecting my build thread.

It was dead cause I was deployed. But now I'm back with some time and money for fun.

Woo hoo!

I just added factory rear ac and heat. I pulled the unit, wiring and switches from a 2001 at the wrecking yard. A 2003 or newer would've been easier to plug into my factory wiring, as it was, pulling all the wiring, switches sensors it required I give the main unit dedicated 12v and the switches needed 12v plus illumination from the factory harness that plugs into the overhead light. I had to have a shop tap into the high pressure and low pressure lines for the ac and the heater lines as well. Because it had a strange ac unit in the middle of the van it wasn't too difficult for the shop to extend it to the factory location.

I I also pulled a rear area light that activates with the doors.

Pulled the weird panels of the doors and added proper door handles and locks from the donor.

Doing some rust cleanup today in prep for putting the seats in. I found some holes in the body panels on the driver side lower panel. I dropped it off at a local paint shop for repair and I'm going to bedliner coat the lower third of the body. Around the wheel arches and around the hood. This should treat all the rust holes and completely seal them. It was more expensive then i wanted but should look great and protect the body for the life of the vehicle.

Next up seat install.

Then hopefully a ccv pop top. Trying to make sure the body and drive train are in fully functional condition before I invest in the pop top.

Then build the interior out. I'm looking to add dvd for the rear passengers and I'm torn on maybe just adding a second head unit and a house battery to power that plus any other accessories.

Any suggestion s or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #5

Welcome
My layout is very similar to what you described. I have a few pics in my gallery. I have had several class b vans and this is by far my favorite floor plan. I love the 4 captains chairs. I have a kitchen box and a shower that fits in that space when the chairs are removed for camping. If you need any pics or dimensions just let me know. Do you have 6.0 engine?
Good luck
Jim
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

4x4 sporty I'd love what ever you have for measurements and placement. I've moved everything around a dozen times trying to get the right setup and I keep changing my mind.

As soon as I drill holes I guess I'll love it.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

Oh, yes it does have the 6.0. I've found it to be great in a couple trucks I've had and was excited to get it in a van.

It also had a good selection of factory stuff, cruise, ac now rear ac, limited slip rear. Power windows, door locks, power and heated mirrors. I already added a hitch and tekonsa brake controller for towing my enclosed car hauler around. There's a very good chance it will become a mobile living room for long trips if we take more people. One conversion at a time though

I received the new euro style grill, headlights, and radiator support wall to give the front end a nicer look.

Just waiting on the paint shop to keep the project moving.. they said maybe Christmas eve day. What a fun present.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #9

pm sent
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #10

Stopped by the paint shop. They are making slow progress.

Having them bed line the rockers front of the hood and the entire floor of the interior. Including the front section.

The cost was minimal to do the extra section and figured that way I won't need dynamat anywhere or have to worry about any part of the floor.

I may not put any rugs back in. We'll see.