Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #101

Re: ELVIS the BELUGA WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoo
I am looking at starting my build and have been reading about what insulation to use and what paneling to use. From what you noted above, you used 1/2" carpet pad between the paneling and the van wall? I am in Colorado as well and will be using the van a lot in the winter, so insulation is a big issue. What paneling width did you use on the inside?
My paneling is 1/4" ply.

My opinion is to insulate as best you can without spending to much money. The biggest bang for your buck will be sizing your heater appropriatley. Even with minimal insulation like I have, an 8000 btu heater should keep you comfortable down to about 0 degrees fahrenheit. Double that if you want to try and heat with a penthouse top up.

campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #102

topic change

I have been considering changing tire size only for size sake. the tire size now is 265/75/16. Since I put the high top on the van, the tires appear to be disproportionately small. Funny I didn't think I would struggle with the tire size decision, but I am. All the usual questions and concerns apply and I have been reading on this forum and others to see what previous tire size threads had to offer in the way of wisdom. There's fuel economy, gearing, cost, load range, treadwear, tread type, etc. Much more at play than picking the next size up. All things being equal, I am thinking about something in the 33" range which would likely be 305/70/16 or a 285/75/16 which is slightly taller but slightly narrower. I briefly flirted with 315/75/16 and have not ruled that out but I don't want to lose too much power or mess up the gearing. As for brand I am still undecided, but I like the treadpattern of the BFG AT KO because it seems to be a good all around tire from tarmac to dirt to mud to rocks. I also like some of the more agressive looking tires like the toyo open country mt, but in reality I dont think I really need an MT for where I will be taking the van...
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
topic change

I have been considering changing tire size only for size sake. the tire size now is 265/75/16. Since I put the high top on the van, the tires appear to be disproportionately small..... All things being equal, I am thinking about something in the 33" range which would likely be 305/70/16 or a 285/75/16 which is slightly taller but slightly narrower. .....
I like how you think and see things Dude! We are gonna get along just fine you and me
Tire-to-vehicle proportion is what visually sets vehicles apart from others and the majority just don't seem to get it. Tho sometimes you do have to draw the line on modifying to fit a particular tire size.

If you're keeping the rims you just spruced up (I'm assuming 7" wide?)...the 285/75 would look noticeably better but not force you to consider gear changes or brake upgrades. The 305/70 would look and ride/handle even better, but really needs an 8" rim to do it right.
With ONLY trimming, will a 315/75(35") even clear on your van at the rear of the front wheel opening???
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #104

The rims on the van measure 8.5" (with the tire mounted, tape measure through one of the holes). As for the 35", I have only taken measurements from the floor up and from the what the new hub height would be horizontallly to see about fender clearance. I have not yet looked at the wheel width with the tire turned to check for travel and rubbing.

It would be nice to have access to some wheels/tires just to mount them up and see without laying out the cash only to find out- too narrow, too tall, too wide, too short, etc. Maybe at the homebuilders meet!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #105

I sold a few items on ebay, and decided to use the paypal funds to upgrade tires to BFG AT KO in a 305/70/16.

I also ordered a set of Bushwackers to complete the look. Once I started fixating on the current tire size, I couldn't seem to move forward-it really was bugging me.

Still waiting for the sleeper sofa...

Also waiting for a cargo door cabinet that a boatbuilder friend is making for my gallley. Its a custom designed cabinet for the rearward side cargo door that will have two compartments. The one on the front will be hinged at the bottom and fold down to a counter height. It will have my coleman propane stove strapped to it and also have some fiddles (shallow rails) around the edges to retain the stove when in use. I was going to screw the stove down to the counter, but we have decided after camping in state parks that we prefer to move the stove to the picnic table. When camping without a picnic table, the stove will stay on this counter/cabinet. after the stove counter folds down, there will be some storage behind it with a few adjustable shelves/ or pockets. I am thinking about storing the gas bottle in there for now along with some basic cleaning and cooking utensils. The counter/ door will have a hole drilled through it for the gas bottle to connect below the counter, and then someday when the van has an onboard propane tank, I would like to be able to connect a gas hose from the frame rail or access panel up through the counter and into the stove.

PS- HAPPY 4th OF JULY! this is an especially big day in Maine as we have only 2 seasons: Winter and the 4th of july.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #106

big flares and small tires:

hopefully 305s will fill those arches better
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #107

rocking buddy
i can here the sounds of Mating Whales to the Tune of blue suede shoes......

they can laugh at our Big Tops
but we know we have the Upper Hand
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #108

and then 305/70/16 BFG AT KO

They are a nice riding tire. quiet on the road, smoother than the older cooper discoverer 265/75. I can feel a little power loss I also need to do some sheet metal trimming at the rear of the front wheel arches. I'll take a couple pics tomorrow of the RUB.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #109

My galley-door-cabinet showed up today. It needs to be primed and painted and a few minor details attended to. here are some pics of it resting near where it will eventually be mounted.

Lower part with lp gas bottle storage

Peek a boo. this compartment fits 2 of these short fat lp bottles.

Top View. recessed pocket on window side, flat area with fiddles on interior side of top

open with cooktop. Cooktop will sit on this platform, roughly counter height outside with the doors open (for boondocking) we will move the cooktop to the picnic table if we are at state or nat. parks. I plan to use straps like battery tie downs for fixing the cooktop to the counter/door surface for transport. I will probably stick a foam rubber slab between the cooktop and the rear shelves (not in picture, need to be screwed in) to keep stuff from rattling around while travelling.

Finger Latch detail - I like these

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #110

Nice cabinet Teeots.

Do you have the same shot as your rear alongside view but with the new tires?
A snap of a full side view that isn't shadowed so dark would be cool (outside on an overcast day if your camera is having a hard time adjusting to all that white panel in bright light )