Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #121

Re: ELVIS the BELUGA WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
I need to come up with a simple way to latch the van door in the full open position for cooking.
Is this what you mean by latching the door open? This is what was installed on my GTRV.

A simple piece of webbing with a nylon hook, which hooks on the curve of the fender. The spring/play in the door hinges provides tension to the strap. (Sorry, the second photo is kinda small.)

Brent

Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #122

Thanks. Much simpler than I was envisioning, which is great.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #123

I have been working on the espar installation. I'm a little behind on pics, but here is the beginning.

I removed the front portion of the van seat/ sofa. Underneath, I can fit 2 six gallon tanks, ( one fresh water and one grey water) and also the furnace. The furnace had to go in between due to a low support bar under the seat.

After measuring a few times, I cut a 4 1/2" hole through the floor of the van for the combustion air intake, exhaust, and fuel line.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #124

After cutting through the floor, I wanted to seal up the cross-section of flooring and insulation as it was now exposed to the weather under the van (road spray etc,) the floor section is 1 3/4" thick. I used bondo to seal up the layers of foam board and plywood. Two applications of bondo, then two coats of paint (paint after photo) to try to keep the weather from entering the floor of the van and rotting and rusting etc.

I did not want the hot exhaust near the foam floor insulation (although the rubber fuel line to the espar heater is pretty close to the exhaust tube) not knowing for sure what the clearances should be. So I installed a short section of heavy wall 4" duct through the floor opening.

mounting plate for espar heater in position. it will be removed again to install the hoses through the plate before permanently screwing plate to the floor.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #125

Not much has happened to Elvis over the last 2 months. Work has been too busy. I'm just starting to make some progress again as I'm feeling the pressure of spring coming and I want to have this thing campable.

I put the sink cabinet in place- the doors are being worked on now. The sink will be on the right side, the porta-pot on the left. An additional shelf will go in above the p-p for t-p and such, then a drawer at the top. I changed my mind regarding the location of the sink grey water tank. Now it will live in the base of the sink cabinet because it simplifies plumbing. It also frees up space under the sofa for 2 6 gal fresh water tanks.

There is room between the cabinet and the curved van wall where I can run the supply lines from the holding tank to the sink.

Here is a shot of the drain detail- converted from 1 1/2" NPT to 3/4"NPT to a boiler drain valve, then garden hose through the floor of the van. I ordered a grey water drain fitting for the exterior lower body panel which I can connect to a garden hose to drain.

The sink is a 15"x15" stainless. after the ptrap I'll use 1 1/2" multiflex to connect to the grey water tank.

I'm also working on the electrical system. I installed a 30amp 125Volt twist lock inlet on the side of the van.

This gets wired over to the inverter charger which is not mounted yet. I just put up the backer board for the inverter charger and other electrical goodies.

Oh yeah, the terlit is a Coleman. Looks like a comfy shape compared to the smaller thetfords which are more square. it was around 60 bucks.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #126

Quote:
The sink is a 15"x15" stainless. after the ptrap I'll use 1 1/2" multiflex to connect to the grey water tank.
Why a 'p' trap? The grey water is not producing sewer gases. Wouldn't it make plumbing easier and take up less space without the 'p' trap?

Just curious. Thanks and your doing a very nice job.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
Quote:
Why a 'p' trap? The grey water is not producing sewer gases. Wouldn't it make plumbing easier and take up less space without the 'p' trap?

Just curious. Thanks and your doing a very nice job.
Good question. Folks at the marine supply and at the rv supply both said that the grey water will off-gas and smell bad. Food particles from dirty dishes, dirty hands, and whatever else. I have never driven around in a vehicle with grey water on board so I personally have no experience with this. Maybe someone with a non-trapped sink drain will chime in . Its not hard to install the trap, but sure it would be easier without.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #128

Quote:
Good question. Folks at the marine supply and at the rv supply both said that the grey water will off-gas and smell bad.
If what comes out when I drain mine is any indication, a P trap is a good idea... never thought about it before now.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Good question. Folks at the marine supply and at the rv supply both said that the grey water will off-gas and smell bad.
If what comes out when I drain mine is any indication, a P trap is a good idea... never thought about it before now.
Agreed, my grey water smells like the inside of a hollow leg after a few days sitting in the tank. P-trap is a must.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #130

Thanks for the info. Good description. I just puked in my mouth.