Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #51

Re: Sheneeda, The van

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
Now I will look for a clever lighting solution for inside the storage box.
Clever is fill it to the brim, then you don't need a light!

Hmmm. Okay. Thanks.

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopie
Awesome stuff Man! ...and can't wait to see those 34's on there!

I cringed a little tho at the ground clearance of the in-floor box. But I suppose that just depends on how gnarly you plan to push your rig off-road. Triple check those mud holes

Ground clearance is 19 inches. The tailpipe would be long gone before the box ever made contact with the earth.

As for working with steel....I've found the sheeting surprisingly affordable and I also found a very competent guy at a local HVAC shop that can quickly cut, bend and fully spot weld the seams of various projects I've asked of him. Tho the shop rate is $80hr, most of my orders get done in less than 30min charge time (they don't have a minimum charge).
Sealant and exterior coating and you've got a sealed box...and one that is likely lighter than 3/4 plywood with multiple coats of fibreglass resin

Aluminum would be lighter, but steel would not. I did not weigh the box finished, but could easily carry it around the shop. Im guessing 70 or so lbs. I have a partial sheet of 16 ga in the shop which would be enough material to make about 1/3 of the same box. It is surprisingly heavy. As for the production time, It would be fascinating to see a fabricator bend up and seam weld an underfloor storage box in 30 minutes. I'm guessing more like a 6 hours, but what do I know.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #53

I decided to put down a vinyl floor now, as we intend to use the van as the build continues. Originally I wanted to wait until the interior buildout is finished, and then put the vinyl down on the remaining exposed floor. It will probably be a long time before the build is finished, so the vinyl will help to keep the floor clean in the meantime.

One step back: First I had to belt sand the oil based paint off the subfloor to ensure good adhesion of the vinyl to the wood. Oh Well.

I used the old van floor mat to make a template on the vinyl. I made all cuts about an inch larger than the actual mat and then trimmed to fit once inside the van.

After that, I troweled on the vinyl flooring glue (Mapei brand ). I used 2/3 of the container which I think was a gallon.

Then I rolled out the vinyl from the rear. I used a 2' wide by 18" diameter lawn roller filled halfway with water to press the vinyl down and roll the glue bubbles and air bubbles out. Roller was probably near 100 pounds. I also used a rolling pin from the kitchen to get into some of the tight spaces. It was stressful for a while as there were a lot of bubbles and imperfections at first. It took a while to get these all squished out. It came out pretty well, but there are some visible imperfections. Not a problem at all, but there is definitely a knack to putting down this type of product. Better practice in a camper van than in a kitchen I suppose.

It is a red oak look. I guess I had a moment of weakness in the flooring store. I normally don't care for products that try to look like something they are not.

Side entry shot with the plastic foot well resting in place. Not sure yet if I will re-use this piece or use the aluminum trim pieces like I used at the rear.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #54

i like it

when the van is empty everything will show

by the time you get the build done

"stuff" in the van
a little dirt, sand and a few scrapes

you wont be able to tell the floor from pergo, vinyal or whatever

plus you saved a ton !
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
...I did not weigh the box finished, but could easily carry it around the shop. Im guessing 70 or so lbs. .....It would be fascinating to see a fabricator bend up and seam weld an underfloor storage box in 30 minutes. I'm guessing more like a 6 hours, but what do I know.
Ya, it is amazing to see how fast things can come together in a sheet metal shop! They're using sheers and brakes...it's like cheating And spot welding goes quick too.

Handy chart for sheet weights if anyone's curious.
2.5lb per sqft for 16g sheet metal for example.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gauge ... d_915.html

Nice job on the floor.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #56

thanks for the link, and the compliments.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #57

Today I took the side doors off and replaced them with the side doors from one of my work vans. Now I have windows! That was an easy and FREE upgrade. The other van does not need windows for any reason so it worked out great.

Still needs a little adjusting to line up the forward door. One of the windows is operable, the other is fixed.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #58

Van is looking awesome!! Keep up the great work!!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #59

Agreed. Good call on the windows.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #60

Looking fantastic! Strangely enough, I'm liking the look of your top more and more every time I see it... I hope you get some snazzy bumpers.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote