Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #61

Re: Sheneeda, The van

Yeah the top does "grow on you". Seems like a bit much at first but...

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #62

It reminded me of the Smurfs when I first saw it...but hey, who didn't have a thing for Smurfette?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #63

HA! i saw a friend on the road the other day- he called right away and said it looked like my van was sporting a mohawk.

I have grown to like the front view and the side view.

the rear view still bugs me. I saw a photo on the forum of a high top van with a large window in the rear of the high top. It really broke it up visually and looked pretty good. Mine will have a cabinet in that part of the top so a window would be useless.

In other news, I ordered a sofa bed today from discountvantruck.com . After much deliberation and several mind changes, we went to a "50" like design. I was really sold on the walk-thru style previously, but after laying out cabinets, sofa-bed, etc on the van floor with masking tape, my wife and I both decided we want a sideways sofa bed. Front facing seats and more of an open living area won out. DVT says 3-4 weeks for delivery. DOH! I guess that gives me time to get the walls insulated, covered up and pre-wired. Oh, and more windows too.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
but hey, who didn't have a thing for Smurfette?
What kind of a strange person has a thing for a Smurf cartoon? Everyone knows Ariel (The Little Mermaid) was the best piece of tail out there. "Everything's better, down where it's wetter".
Unfortunately, you'll get crabs.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
the rear view still bugs me. I saw a photo on the forum of a high top van with a large window in the rear of the high top. It really broke it up visually and looked pretty good. Mine will have a cabinet in that part of the top so a window would be useless.
How about mounting something up there? Like a shovel and axe

This guy has traction plates mounted on the vehicle. Tho if you use the real deal...they are probably a little heavy concerning the vans center of gravity and mounting above the roof...cool tho.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Looking fantastic! Strangely enough, I'm liking the look of your top more and more every time I see it... I hope you get some snazzy bumpers.
x2...blkjak
Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #67

Thanks guys. We were starting to run out of cartoon characters to fantasize about.

I like the idea of mounting something up there on the rear of the high top. Maybe a basketball hoop and backboard?

As for the bumpers, Zaskoda, you bet I want some snazzy bumpers. As you know, they are big bucks. I think the rear aluminess bump with tire carrier, huge storage box with bike rack across the top would do nicely. Its on my wish list. I think I need to get the inside more campable first. I sooo look forward to pulling the trigger on the aluminess products though.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #68

We took Sheneeda out into her element this weekend for a spur-of-the-moment camping trip. Nothing too exotic. Acadia National Park. Its beautiful and has great biking trails. Like all national parks, it is still pretty quiet but is about to get real busy in a week or two.

after our first shakedown, here are some Notes regarding the homebuild:

1. Underfloor storage is priceless!

On the way up, I had 2 folding camp chairs, the coleman propane stove/grill, small bottle of propane, matches, newspaper, frisbee, and a full size 3" foam pad for under the sleeping bag! If you have underfloor storage, then you already know. If you don't have it- DO IT! The contents will change once we have interior cabinets, but I am sure the volume of the storage box will continue to be a "pleaser."

2. the overhead rear and forward storage areas are priceless!

More of the same. big cooler, all of our camp cookware, dishes, clothing, towels, toiletries, bike helmets, etc. Between the underfloor storage, and overhead storage, the floor of the van was completely clear (except for the bikes which I strapped to the wall at the rear pass. side).

3. Fiberglass high top requires extra time in parking areas to explain to people.

"What do you keep up there?"
"Do you have a bed up there?"
"What kind of rig is that?"
"Where did you get that?"
"What kind of mileage do you get?"

Overall, it was sure fun to try the van out for the intended purpose even though the build is only just beginning. It was also re-assuring to find out that there will be plenty of storage space for 2 adults for long weekends. Even more importantly, it was re-assuring that my wife enjoyed the trip and is now excited about the van project.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
3. Fiberglass high top requires extra time in parking areas to explain to people.

"What do you keep up there?"
"Do you have a bed up there?"
"What kind of rig is that?"
"Where did you get that?"
"What kind of mileage do you get?"
Even with my PH top, at least twice I've been asked "Is that a Hummer?"

Great job you've done there.

Herb
Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #70

Quote:
Overall, it was sure fun to try the van out for the intended purpose even though the build is only just beginning. It was also re-assuring to find out that there will be plenty of storage space for 2 adults for long weekends. Even more importantly, it was re-assuring that my wife enjoyed the trip and is now excited about the van project.
That's totally awesome Man! I'm doing roughly the same...building just for the Wife and Daughter (and 2 larger dogs) for one, two night max outings with plenty of room.

Having The Wife's support and interest VS mere tolerance is a big deal sometimes.