Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

ELVIS the BELUGA WHALE

for sale thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8648

Ok. SHENEEDA was her name. Decidedly ghetto and completely appropriate. Thanks to LOOPIE, CAMPERVANBEETHOVEN, BILL WILSON, and others for getting creative with names, Sheneeda is now ELVIS the BELUGA WHALE

I have been lurking here for a while and have found this site to be helpful and full of friendly folks. I am going to begin building a homebrew camper van soon. I recently purchased a 2000 E350 EB 4x4 7.3 with the idea of building this camper. I purchased a new fiberglass high top similiar to the cruiser top and am waiting for delivery of that. I hope to be able to get the top on and start sound deadening, insulating, pre-wiring, sub flooring, walls- this spring and summer and still be able to use the van on short trips when possible for makeshift camping and trial and error recon.

I hope to post up pics and stories as things progress. "Hi my name is teeots and I'm addicted to van campers"

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Blank, The van

Looks like you have a good starting point. What hightop did you buy?

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Thank is a very fine blank canvas. Are you going to add armor?
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

Nice van, looks like an awesome foundation for you're build!! Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #5

Here is a photo of the top I purchased. I bought it from cyclevan in NJ. They ordered it through the manufacturer in Indiana I believe. Interesting to learn that the reverse flange style top is difficult to get here in the east. (This one is standard flange) Shipping a reverse flange top from the west coast would kill the deal. Not the most sexy top, but lots of headroom. 32" at the highest point. I like this because I will add insulation and subfloor, then insulation and some type of ceiling panels and still have over 6' of headroom. Bad news is no drive-thru transactions and not exactly stealth. So many compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Thank is a very fine blank canvas. Are you going to add armor?
Yes, I have hopes to add Aluminess (rear first) with the swingaway tire and large box i have a honda inverter generator that I would like to put in the box. Also want to put the bike racks on the top of the box. I have a 46 cj2a with a 327v8 and 34" swampers that I am considering my Aluminess fund. I want to sell that to fund the front and rear aluminess purchase. Otherwise, hard to pull out 5k for bumpers!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford 32? Transit 2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Some side windows in the top and van will reduce that FedEx look.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Some side windows in the top and van will reduce that FedEx look.
thats the plan
Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

Beautiful Sunday- I should be outside raking the lawn but... I decided to sand and paint my wheels instead. The clearcoat/veneer on 2 of them was bubbled and looked awful. I wanted to go with black anyway so I sanded with 60 grit to give the wheel some tooth and then used a dark grey primer. here are a couple of during and during photos. The before photo is at the top of this post. The after photo may be later today or tomorrow as I am still prepping the other two wheels.

After sanding the surfaces with 60 grit, then I used a dremel with a drum sander attachment to get inside the holes, then air chuck all the dust away, then tack cloth, mask, and prime.

I actually like the dark charcoal primer better than the black, but I already used the black to paint the front grill (to replace the chrome grill-more on that later), and I want to do fender flares in black, and eventually aluminess in black, roof rack, side ladder, etc. so I will stick with black for the wheels instead of dark grey.

lunch break is over- I'm heading back out to the shop.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #9

Looks good man! I'm sure they will look awesome when done!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #10

Done with the painting. 2-3 coats primer, 4-5 light coats of paint and voila. Now I need to order some black lug nuts.