Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #11

I've installed several Eberspacher Airtronic B4 (gas) heaters. They have all been great. Very happy with the one in our personal van.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #12

I recently bought a gas Espar for my interior build. Its still sitting in my garage.

I'm a little apprehensive about installing it inside the body. Instead I'm thinking about building a small steel box that will mount underneath the van and then ducting the heat and return lines through the floor. The main goal being that it creates a bit of a firewall.... except for the ducting... maybe that effectively defeats the purpose.

If I remember what I read in the installation manual, it states that mounting inside the vehicle is preferred, but if the vehicle carries more than 8 or 9 passengers than it may be required to be installed outside. It's not clear what entity makes this "requirement"... maybe its a German or EU thing.

I may change my mind, and I'm curious what others have done.

Also, my memory is a little fuzzy from when I last dropped the fuel tank, but I'm guessing there should be enough room to mount the Espar fuel standpipe on the fuel pump/sender assembly rather than drilling through the top of the tank itself, right? I hope that's right as it should be easier to do safely.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Chris, would love to have this. Is it available yet in the US?

According to the retailer from whom we purchased, the remote+ is actually being discontinued and still available thru several retailers. The replacement is easystart web...it's more expensive (and yearly membership???). I prefer not being electronically connected to the internet while traveling, so the remote+ is what we're getting.
https://www.eberspaecher.com/en/prod...start-web.html

EasyStart Web – the new superlative for heater operation via internet

The latest version of the EasyStart Web combines all the advantages of range- and device-independent operation with those of CAN communication. As before, the EasyStart Web features a permanently installed SIM chip with roaming function for all European countries. It can be operated via all Internet-compatible devices thanks to smartphone and smartwatch apps, as well as a browser version.
New features: The EasyStart Web will support operation of up to two heaters connected via CAN bus, and it features a residual-heat function for Hydronic heaters.
All EasyStart Webs can now be controlled via speech pattern using Amazon Alexa. A skill to that effect, "Eberspächer pre-heater", is available in English and German.

Advantages ¹⁾:
  • Three possible communication paths: CAN, LIN, switching plus
  • Control via CAN: up to two heaters, one additional control unit, EasyFan and EasyScan
  • Control via LIN: up to two heaters, a second control unit LIN
  • Control via switching plus: one heater
  • Integrated residual-heat function for Hydronic heaters: efficient heating mode by using the engine’s residual heat
  • Diagnostics for end users via the output of seven possible error codes
  • Detailed remote diagnostics by the workshop (after approval by the end customer)
  • 30-day starting credit after activation by the workshop
  • Optimized switch-on process: immediate confirmation of input when heater is switched on

Additional features ¹⁾:
  • Endless operating time can be set for Airtronic and Hydronic
  • Ideal network coverage in the following countries: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine
  • Hardware compatible with Hydronic S3 Economy/Commercial, Airtronic S2/M2 and all future heaters via CAN interface (all other heaters are compatible via S+ or LIN)
  • On/Off button with operating display included
  • Temperature sensor included
Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
No maintenance and everything’s fine? All their recommended annual stuff is what’s bothering me vs propane.
I have never touched it or run anything through it except diesel from the main fuel tank. Starts and runs perfectly every time.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
According to the retailer from whom we purchased, the remote+ is actually being discontinued and still available thru several retailers. The replacement is easystart web...it's more expensive (and yearly membership???).
Really? So, while on a trip, your membership runs out one day while your deep in the wilderness, so no heat? Or the lack of internet has already cut off communication with your heater? With the rapid rise of knock off heaters, I wonder it Espar is desperately trying to regain some revenue? Either way, it sounds like a really bad idea.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Really? So, while on a trip, your membership runs out one day while your deep in the wilderness, so no heat? Or the lack of internet has already cut off communication with your heater? With the rapid rise of knock off heaters, I wonder it Espar is desperately trying to regain some revenue? Either way, it sounds like a really bad idea.
Man, is this a stupid idea! You do not want something life or death like a heater tied to the grid, especially the modern and unreliable wireless/bluetooth/satellite etc. grid. WTF are they thinking? No AC won't kill you but no heat could. Damn thing needs an on/off switch and a thermostat and that is all.

Don't people use these to get OFF the grid? I do not understand the marketing intent on this crap.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #17

^^ I would assume it runs via Bluetooth or WiFi and just uses a mobile device as a remote.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #18

Garage
woah-woah-woah...slow down everyone.
Don't take what I wrote about yearly membership as gospel...it's why i put "???" at the end!!
I was trying to remember what I read somewhere and thought I saw an annual cost and thought that an advisory would be helpful.

So checking the appstore for easystart web leads to here - https://apps.apple.com/no/app/easyst...b/id1140860023

which leads to this:
It also offers you the following:
- Access to the best available mobile phone network
- No need to insert or exchange a SIM card
- Flat rate for 12 months' connectively can be booked conveniently and cost-effectively
- Roaming function enables operation abroad without additional costs
- Compatibility with all other internet-capable terminal devices through browser version, optimised for mobile devices

and here - https://www.myeberspaecher.com/#/customer/prices

I have no idea what "flat rate for 12 months connectively..." means and only Europe is listed in the customer prices.

I have a myeberspaecher login - https://www.myeberspaecher.com/ - and can only get to the screen to add the easystart web "access login."

I'm not interested in the easystart web, partly because I don't have an apple or android phone.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #19

Gotcha Chris, my rant was more of a general one. Is seems like you can't sell anything these days without subscription, wifi, bluetooth, etc. etc.

Disregard my disdain for modern technology.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
woah-woah-woah...slow down everyone.
Don't take what I wrote about yearly membership as gospel...it's why i put "???" at the end!!

- Flat rate for 12 months' connectively can be booked conveniently and cost-effectively[/I][/COLOR][/B]

- Roaming function enables operation abroad without additional costs

But, I read it on the interwebs, it's gotta be true. Never the less, the words "flat rate" and "for 12 months connectivity" sure sounds like a yearly subscription charge to connect to the internet, as does "roaming function"
Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to this as the wife just lost access to all her Word documents because her yearly subscription to Word ran out. That's for software that we use to own, but now can only rent. It will be interesting to see where this all ends up.........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote