Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Even the simple stuff can't be easy

I changed my oil and as I'm pouring I hear it leaking onto the concrete.... Come to find out my oil fill tube wasn't connected to the valve cover.

Luckily a ficm and some gauges is the last to dos on the mechanical part of my build. Starting the conversion real soon!!!

SixCardCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCardCharlie View Post
I changed my oil and as I'm pouring I hear it leaking onto the concrete.... Come to find out my oil fill tube wasn't connected to the valve cover.!!!
Not as bad as forgetting to install the drain plug
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
One of my bonehead moments was starting to drain oil and not realizing that I hadn't pulled the plug out of the oil drain container so the oil could go into the container. Nothing like grasping through hot oil trying to grab and remove the plug while the oil starts to overflow the container and hit the street.

Herb
Old 10-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Reminds me of a question I never remembered to ask. Is anyone running a Fumoto valve? A search for "fumoto" brought 0 results.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

I have a Fumoto valve on my v10 and am happy with it. Long nipple, I just connect some hose and drain directly into recycle containers. Super easy on the lifted van.

I use them on other cars as well. You do give up the magnetic plug and push the drain up just a hair.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Going to have to pick uo a fumoto valve for my next oil change. Sounds like it would be awesome to be able to just save old oil jugs and be able to start and stop to fill it directly into them.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I have a Fumoto valve on my v10 and am happy with it. Long nipple, I just connect some hose and drain directly into recycle containers. Super easy on the lifted van.

I use them on other cars as well. You do give up the magnetic plug and push the drain up just a hair.
Seems like they have quite a few options - long nipple, short nipple, angled nipple, no nipple?, etc. I'm interested.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #8

Don't over-think the nipple style. Even no-nipple has a plug in bit, but you then need to not loose it, so I'd stick with long or short on anything that has plenty or clearance.

I have long on the van, and short on the oil tank tank of a dry-sump car. I also have an uninstalled no-nipple one for a diesel wagon that had doesn't have a ton of ground clearance.

Also, unless you're scraping the bottom, I don't see the extra safety clip being worth much. I've not bothered on the van. The other cars have somewhat expensive engines, so they got them.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #9

Garage
I just throw a 5 gallon bucket under the van and pull the plug, probably the easiest oil change I've ever done.

Pulling the oil filter off is always an adventure trying not to spill the oil out of it though.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
One of my bonehead moments was starting to drain oil and not realizing that I hadn't pulled the plug out of the oil drain container so the oil could go into the container. Nothing like grasping through hot oil trying to grab and remove the plug while the oil starts to overflow the container and hit the street.

Herb

I've done that a couple times. Maybe more but I'm not willing to put a number on it. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote