Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Expanding Foam and You

ok...

i filled the "studs" in my express with expanding foam. i used the big gap stuff as the space is 2-3" wide and forms a channel about 50 something inches tall...i used the smaller gap stuff for the rest of the nooks and crannies inside the van where it was impractical to use xps boards.

it filled the gap wonderfully...i worked slowly and layered it as i went up. it sure expanded more than i thought it would so i have some trimming...

what i did not expect was the strength of the expansion OUTWARD towards the body skin...

i now have vertical lines running up the side of my van visible from the outside...sort of like creases...

i cant believe it did that. these "studs" have so many large holes to allow the stuff to expand out into the interior (and it did) that i never would have thought it would do that. ive used all varieties of the stuff in home remodeling countless times, even around windows and doors. im very comfortable with the stuff

i wouldnt say the body is ruined but im so upset. weather is too crummy to take pics so ill have to do it later. heads up to those that use it in a similar fashion. im really surprised by this.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Expanding Foam and You

For what its worth, and its not worth much, I NEVER would have expected something like that happening either. I do appreciate you posting the warning though, as it will undoubtedly save someone else the same headache.

So you think the creases would remain if you were able to remove the foam? Is is just the pressure that is forcing the body sheet metal outward, or has the body now been altered in shape whether the foam is there or not?

Herb
Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

There is a foam available that does not expand that hard. It may be the latex stuff.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
For what its worth, and its not worth much, I NEVER would have expected something like that happening either. I do appreciate you posting the warning though, as it will undoubtedly save someone else the same headache.

So you think the creases would remain if you were able to remove the foam? Is is just the pressure that is forcing the body sheet metal outward, or has the body now been altered in shape whether the foam is there or not?

Herb
the crease is pretty sharp. its almost as defined as the window relief molded into the body. if it were like a wave then i would think it would go away but the way it looks has me thinking its permanent. i think they would remain even though the metal should have memory (right?). its more noticeable when looking fore and after rather than perpendicular to the body.

i can live with it but man its a let down lol
Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
There is a foam available that does not expand that hard. It may be the latex stuff.

ive come across it at depot or lowes. i think hilti has a line of it. i mostly ignored it thinking 6 of one half dozen of the other. now it seems more relevant lol
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #6

Wondering will it "settle" as the metal returns to memory? It's only wishful thinking but maybe an OLD-SCHOOL bodyman can offer help... seen miracles with heat and pressure!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #7

[quote="cygvan"]

"ok... i used the big gap stuff as the space is 2-3" wide"
"it filled the gap wonderfully... it sure expanded more than i thought it would"

Hi;

20/20 hindsight here for the next person. They make low expanding foam that is intended not to bow out window frames. That might be the preferred choice.

I'm thinking of having a spray foam contractor do my van with 2 lb foam. Now I'm thinking that might be too aggressive as well.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #8

Expanding Foam and You

Bummer.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #9

Dent Wizard?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #10

Expanding Foam and You

Spray foam insulation is widely thought to be a really bad idea for insulating vans. People say it eats away at the metal from the inside, others say it just blocks drain holes leaving condensation no place to go. Not sure if this applies to the foam in a can stuff though. The comercially sprayed stuff generates an amazing amount of heat as the chemicals are mixed just before it comes out of the gun. This heat will warp the metal. Have a look at a refrigerated transport trailer, notice all the horizontal ribs compared to a freight van? They are to minimize the warping.