Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Fantastic Fan VERTICAL mount?

I'm still working on my design and specifications for my Homebuilt RV. I'm planning on installing a Cruiser II fixed top. I'll also have 2 or 3 solar panels on top of the fixed top (on some sort of mount system).

I'd like to add at least one Fantastic Fan to help with ventilation.

Assuming I do not have any room for a fantastic fan on the roof, can it be mounted vertically, like in the side of the fixed top, to open like an awning window??

Thanks for any input on this installation question.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Fantastic Fan VERTICAL mount?

No but they also make a mini-breeze box fan that could be hung in front of a window. There is another thread about that solution.

The fan would work much more efficiently mounted in the roof since natural convection/gravity is working the same direction as the fan an vent opening. I think the roof version is also available with a much higher efficiency, variable speed, motor.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

I don't see any reason it couldn't be mounted on the side of the top. You would loss the natural shingling that a top mount provides. I have never noticed a problem though of water coming in while driving down the road in a heavy driving rain, so they must seal good. I would think this is something you could seriously look at IF you can't mount it on the roof.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Mine is not tight- both wind and the top rattling make noise when closed, more the former at speed and the latter when parked. The design seems to be rain resistant from the top (overlap on sides) and from the front (hinge). You might have water entry from the side, which would be front if you hung with the hinge up- you also might have air entry/autonomous covering dislocation from the side. If you went hinge forward, I would think you would have leaks from the side, now being the top.

You'll only have a large hole to show for it if it doesn't work...
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #5

Why not call the manufacturer and ask them about vertical mounting? They should be the best source of information.

800-521-0298

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

I emailed Fantastic just a few days ago about this exact issue. They said no problem mounting the fan vertically. They are quite helpful - call them or email them if you have any questions.
dtlockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

I went through this, was going to mount through the back window, found the same photo of the guy who actually did it a while back - http://www.mybigadventure.com/index.php ... ntFan5.jpg (you can read more about his build if you go to the main page) - and finally called the Fantastic Vent people. They recommended against it for precisely the reason Jage puts forward - it's really designed for mounting upwards. That gasket will hold so long as the shade cups all the way around it. You are really looking for trouble if you mount it sideways.

I bit the bullet, put it in the roof near the rear, and love it.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #8

Spoke to Rodney at Fantastic Fans this morning. It breaks down to two situations: one with electronics for rain sensor and temperature control and one without. Without the controlling electronics (just a hand crank for opening and closing) there is no problem with a vertical mount. With the electronics he said to give him a call when ready to order and they would mount the circuit board differently so that moisture would not collect on it. This would eliminate the problem with a vertical mounting.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #9

Interesting they told you that.

Go with it. My own experience is that the vent cover is less tight on the corner opposite the interior crank knob. That's where I would be worried about leaking.

Your mileage may vary, though.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat

My own experience is that the vent cover is less tight on the corner opposite the interior crank knob. That's where I would be worried about leaking.
That condition would seem to exist however it was mounted - wouldn't it?