Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #11

Re: Finally Getting Started!

The Bedrug that I saw at the local truck accessory place was nice. The Vantred is different in the material is vinyl instead of the carpet like material and where the bedrug is molded to the floor ribs the Vantred is ribbed on the bottom and flat on the top. I havent seen it in person only in the sales brochure and the web site. I would go with the Bedrug except what I was trying to avoid is the amount of debris tracked in the van by the kids (vinyl would be an easier cleanup) plus I like the idea of the flat surface on top. I would assume the noise dampening qualities would be about the same.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #12

The vinyl for the front was delivered yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1942.JPG   CIMG1944.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #13

I pulled the front seats and the doghouse for the vinyl install. Just found out my windshield is leaking. When I bought the van the windshield was cracked all the way across. If you ever think your van is clean don't ever pull the seats and the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1951.JPG   CIMG1949.JPG   CIMG1952.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Water can also pool up there if the AC drain is plugged. You might want to check that while you have its easy to access.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #15

Thanks for the tip but I'm almost sure its the windshield. We have had some bad weather here over the last couple days, plus the van has been parked since Sunday. I ran the hose on the roof last night and watched it drip into the cab . Plan now is to re install the drivers seat and the doghouse and take the van to the window shop for the fix tomorrow am.

My Build Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #16

Mine leaks like that on the drivers side ever since the new windshield was installed.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
I pulled the front seats and the doghouse for the vinyl install. Just found out my windshield is leaking. When I bought the van the windshield was cracked all the way across. If you ever think your van is clean don't ever pull the seats and the carpet.
Oh and I know what you mean by this. I gutted mine everything but the dash when I got it and I thought it was fairly clean. Well it is now or so I think.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Water can also pool up there if the AC drain is plugged. You might want to check that while you have its easy to access.
OK I looked in the general area of the leak, under the passenger dash. I didnt pull anything apart but I never saw the drain your referring to. I did see a black box that looked like it could be the bottom of the a/c unit but I had limited time to investigate. Reinstalled the drivers seat for tomorrow AM. I will see what the window guy says then try again.

My Build Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #19

Made some progress this week. Settled on VanTred for the rear. Bought it from the local truck accesory place for about the same price as online. It fit well but still needed trimmed to fit. Downside it only came in black. Hind site 20/20 I would have ordered black vinyl for the front. Still working on the leak in the front. Good news is the windshield is not leaking, bad news the seam where the rain gutter and the top cowl is cracked and leaking. The water is running all the way down and onto the floor in the front. Scheduled to fix soon since I have the new floor in.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1968.JPG   CIMG1969.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #20

Started the cabinets for the rear. Trying to get 72" across the back for a 54" x 72" sleeping platform. With the factory panels the width is around 66-67". There is a lot of wasted space behind the panels. I'm 5'10" so I cant lay flat across the back. What I'm trying to do is have the platform high enough so I can take advantage of the width at the window height which is enough so I don't have to crouch while sleeping. This is the first time for building any cabinets and my plans changed several times during construction. I started with 24" bottoms, not counting the 3/4" face frame or the rear panel (which ended up being around 24 1/2" without the rear panel). There was not enough room to pass by the rear bench and around to the hallway in between the cabinets so I disassembled the 1st cabinet and trimmed to 21" overall on the width. Both cabinets measure 21" wide, 54" long, and 22" tall not counting the cutouts for the wheel wells or for the A/C unit.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1966.JPG   CIMG1970.JPG   CIMG1965.JPG  

My Build Thread