Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #61

Re: Finally Getting Started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Look for a set of holes (two round top and bottom and the one in the center is a square hole) about 7 3/4 inches ahead of that box. That's how far my bolt holes are apart from the front of the rear box to the rear of the front box. The safety cable holes (two one for the locator tab and one for the bolt) are just below it and slightly ahead.
I'm with ya! The square hole is behind the box that mounted on each side. In the picture I posted you can just barely see it. You can also see the cable tie down hole location. The driver side has the same configuration in the same location. Where the box is currently mounted there is not enough room to mount the 2nd box toward the front of the van because of the step and to the rear the spring mount is in the way. Had some time to think about it tonight and still undecided. How I found out about not have enough room for the second box is because I tried to mount the box using the two slightly larger than holes in the frame to the right of the box in the picture. It may be possible to get away with having to drill only six holes. It might work out to where I could use the holes closest to the front for the front box. More measuring and fitting tomorrow!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #62

Finally Getting Started!

So am I going to be happy or sad that I didn't buy these kind of boxes? Looks like happy so far, though I regret it isn't working out as easily as you'd hoped Brian. My issue is, so far, a cost issue. 2 Ford boxes is right around $100. I spent less than $50 on some angle iron since I already have a bunch of plastic marine battery boxes around. I'm planning one big framed battery box drilled to match as many factory frame holes as I can, and I'm sure hoping it will work out on the passenger side. I guess I'll be using a floor jack to lift the huge unit in to place.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #63

I got the battery boxes dry fitted on the passenger side. Took longer than expected but most things do.

I used two of the factory holes for the the front box. I had to drill 6 holes to get them mounted. I still have to drill the holes for the safety cables but that shouldn't be to much of a hassle. I saw Toolman's post in Scotties battery box thread after the fact. That install might have been easier. Planning on picking up the batteries this week and the inverter should be here this week as well.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2097.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
So am I going to be happy or sad that I didn't buy these kind of boxes? Looks like happy so far, though I regret it isn't working out as easily as you'd hoped Brian. My issue is, so far, a cost issue. 2 Ford boxes is right around $100. I spent less than $50 on some angle iron since I already have a bunch of plastic marine battery boxes around. I'm planning one big framed battery box drilled to match as many factory frame holes as I can, and I'm sure hoping it will work out on the passenger side. I guess I'll be using a floor jack to lift the huge unit in to place.

I spent less than $100 on mine off of ebay. It took me a while to install them on the passenger side but glad I did. I could have done it faster but I've been having drill issues. Either way you will still need a jack to install them.

My Build Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #65

Cool Brian, I'm glad you got it worked out. Looks good. I built mine today but don't have pics yet. It turned out good. Not mounted yet, but I got it welded up and painted today.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #66

Nothing much new to report. Waiting on the Tripp Lite 1500(coming by mule train I believe). They offered free shipping when I ordered the end of last week. It was finally picked up by Fed Ex yesterday. I picked up the Die Hard 65 series batteries earlier in the week. I'm really waiting to have everything here so I can take some measurements so I can order or pick up some battery cables. Thanks to everyone who has helped me make some decisions on the electrical. I had originally wanted to have everything done for this weekend but I guess its not to be. My oldest daughter has a horse show both Sat & Sun. Of course we're taking the van.

My Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #67

End of a long weekend at a Pony Club rating for my oldest daughter. We used loaner pony be everything went well with her getting her new D2 rating. No new work to report on the van, but I did miss the Fed Ex guy on Saturday. He brought the inverter and it required a delivery signature so they didn't leave it. I plan on picking it up tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2104.JPG   CIMG2131.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #68

Bummer Brian. It always happens that way. I work for them and have for almost 20 years and I miss the days when you could take care of your customers (and like, actually leave their stuff, which you know they want, and you need to get rid of), but lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits. We can't take care of customers anymore. Even if you request that everything be left, it won't be if it is worth anything. It will always be signature required.
Cool pony jumpin' by the way. My 6 year old daughter wants to get in to that so bad she can't stand it. I'm holding her off so far. I can't even afford my interests!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #69

So, I've been pretty busy lately. I have not much time for any van improvements, and we have a couple of horse shows coming up in the next couple of weeks. With that said I planned for today to try to tie all of the electrical together. I also tried to improve the looks of the front end:

Before:

During:

I used two cans of Rattle Can truck bed liner. I was going to spray the chrome bumper as well but changed my mind in during the process. Of course I'm not finished because I never am. I had a run in the grill and I tried to fix but now it looks worse than when I started. I plan on giving it a day or two to cure then I will re- sand the area and re-spray.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2141.JPG   CIMG2142.JPG   CIMG2143.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #70

After:

I hope to finish the electrical tomorrow morning. So far everything is coming together nicely, I'll have some pics to post when I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2145.JPG  

My Build Thread