Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #11

Re: First polished aluminess bumper+backup camera relocate

It's *always* easy to justify a trip to Oregon, especially for a 46 gallon tank. I used to park in the Village, but now I leave it in Jersey at a secret location and use my 4Runner as a dinghy. Sorry it took so long to respond here. We should get together and have coffee or just swap tall tales.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat View Post
It's *always* easy to justify a trip to Oregon, especially for a 46 gallon tank. I used to park in the Village, but now I leave it in Jersey at a secret location and use my 4Runner as a dinghy. Sorry it took so long to respond here. We should get together and have coffee or just swap tall tales.
Sounds good. Coffee's my favorite. My book of van tales is only 7k long, but I'm planning on driving her into the ground.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

You didn't think I was done with the van mods did you?

Didn't like the colorado camping van pop top bed platforms. So... I made new ones.

https://themodness.wordpress.com/201...banging-heads/

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

Thinking of doing a 13' awning or an f45 eagle with Z brackets? You probably wanna read this.

Awning/galley upgrade.

https://themodness.wordpress.com/201...-in-the-shade/

BTW mods, any chance of getting this renamed 'the doom van' thread? I'm guessing polished bumpers and awnings appeal to different folks, sometimes. TIA.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

Question

Greetings,
Hey all that blazing trail aluminess bling looks great!

I have a question on the "Superbumper".
Do you think the SB will protect the Aluminess bumper and boxes ? I ask because they are building me nearly the same bumper (but in black) with the same depth boxes on bumper. I'd spend the $$ on the SB to help protect all that bling back there. We both know the investment we've got into them!

Thanks in advance,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
I'm in Little Neck. In my neighborhood it's not alternate side, mainly because most houses have driveways so the streets open up at night. Nice place to live. My 'tank' gets lots of attention from the neighbors. Some vans around we've got a couple other econolines and a Sprinter on my block.
Little Neck? Wow, we were practically neighbors! I was in Bellerose for a long time (grew up in Queens) but moved a bit further north about 5 years ago.

I used to take my SMB into Manhattan and The Bronx regularly for work.

Did you register it as an RV or passenger vehicle? There's a law in NYC that says RV's can't park on a public street more than 24 hours unless you move it. As I parked on the street at home, I registered as a passenger vehicle. There was no alternate side parking in my neighborhood, either.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The bumper looks awesome!
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Greetings,
Hey all that blazing trail aluminess bling looks great!

I have a question on the "Superbumper".
Do you think the SB will protect the Aluminess bumper and boxes ? I ask because they are building me nearly the same bumper (but in black) with the same depth boxes on bumper. I'd spend the $$ on the SB to help protect all that bling back there. We both know the investment we've got into them!

Thanks in advance,
Thom
Yes. No. Yes

So... Yes the Superbumper will protect the Aluminess from a straight on 'feel' parker or rear end collision very well! That's what it's for!! But it's recessed about 7 inches in from the standard boxes. You'll need a hitch extender to bring it out flush or ideally a little further out. The rubber outside and inside the hitch tube should absorb some of the blow. It compresses up to about 4" equivalent to the force it's hit with. It helps up to 30 mph.

So long as the compression/deflection ends before the other vehicle can touch your boxes, you're OK. I opted for the 7" not 13" hitch extender knowing that a tall truck at 5 MPH or greater will damage the boxes (meaningful compression inside the sparebumper), but they are cheaper than the 3k bumper. Just couldn't bring myself to make the whole van even longer.

Most of the time it would be an SUV or sedan who's hood doesn't even reach them with the 4+" quadvan lift/tires.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick View Post
Little Neck? Wow, we were practically neighbors! I was in Bellerose for a long time (grew up in Queens) but moved a bit further north about 5 years ago.

I used to take my SMB into Manhattan and The Bronx regularly for work.

Did you register it as an RV or passenger vehicle? There's a law in NYC that says RV's can't park on a public street more than 24 hours unless you move it. As I parked on the street at home, I registered as a passenger vehicle. There was no alternate side parking in my neighborhood, either.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The bumper looks awesome!
Parkway safe 7'10" (not required) and passenger plates. I'm still cautious and avoid some parkways as the bridge sides are 6'11" It's a 15 passenger van ford factory upfitted as an 8 passenger. I fought hard to keep it burly but yet short. Lots of compromises.

I did have to change insurance companies as my agent was bewildered as to why I didn't want to register it as a class B. I told her it's not just an RV it's an all in one SUV! Drive the fam around. Pick up furniture. Road trip. Camp. Whatever. Pretty dumb IMO. New insurance totally got it out of the gate.

Vans are A-OK but there is a new van dealer weight limit. There is no such thing as a 4x4 15 passenger passenger van sold new in NY/NJ. The back row must come out. Too heavy.

Honestly I had NEVER noticed a camping van around here before I bought one. Didn't want a cargo van (no windows) or RV. It's easier to up-fit a cargo van but they freak the neighbours out. There's a couple RVs round here and people mumble. How can they with wall of windows? Obviously nobody is in there.

BTW IMO the CCV tall pop top?(I have the short 6" vs 20+") Ultimate boondoocker. You can sleep on the bed with the top down and leave the shades open. Nobody the wiser.

Stay tuned more projects in the pipeline. No compromises. The plan is to do everything but appliances (wash,dryer,dish) for camping, and it will all come out for cargo.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #19

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
Yes. No. Yes
...I opted for the 7"...hitch extender...
Hey thanks for the info. I'll do some more reading on it and might go with the same.

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #20

Took me a while to find these. fortunately I didn't need one, but substitutes are super expensive.

If you do a short CCV popt top 13' awning install and mess up the latch mod.

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-10.../dp/B002UC4Q92