Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #41
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
Van isn't too droopy yet but it's only going to get heavier. Not sure what to get air bag wise. Rear the F350 57275 bags look right, but front the E350 ones do.

I am stoked about the transfer flow, but not that stoked since I have no idea when John will get em in.

As for a trip I will probably try to avoid it if I can, but if it's summer maybe it can be a bonifide cross country vacation.
When ours was being built, I asked Jon about bags or Deavers... he said there are more advantages and options with a set of bags...PLUS you can run a line from the compressor they need to fill tires etc!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
When ours was being built, I asked Jon about bags or Deavers... he said there are more advantages and options with a set of bags...PLUS you can run a line from the compressor they need to fill tires etc!
You might want to read this before you invest in bags:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nes-13653.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #43

Thanks! Great thread. Backing away from the airbags slowly...

Maybe I've lost 3/8 of an inch of ride height. Sounds like it's not worth it. Actually it's more like 1/4 (just eyeballing it btw) it was like 3/8 but I moved a bunch of stuff to the front bumper (winch, spare, those grip planks) so both front and back are balanced looking again.

Personally I think adding leafs into the leaf spring makes sense to me but I have yet to find that discussion or have any idea how to proceed there. I liked the air bags cause I knew they wouldn't add any height to the van when I couldn't afford it. Some of the underpasses on the way to the beach are pretty close.

Another theoretical advantage to airbags was making the van briefly taller to get you out of trouble offroad, but I've never tried this and it could be fantasy.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #44

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Air Bags, don't get the wrong ones - there are no right ones

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
Parkway safe 7'10" (not required) and passenger plates. I'm still cautious and avoid some parkways as the bridge sides are 6'11" It's a 15 passenger van ford factory upfitted as an 8 passenger. I fought hard to keep it burly but yet short. Lots of compromises.
My van is 8' 06" and I get by on the Northern State and Southern State just fine, even in the right lane. The only one that scares me is going from the Cross Island southbound onto the Southern State eastbound -- that first bridge in the right hand lane of the Southern State is extra low, get over to at least the middle lane immediately.

The low bridge clearance markers are for the lowest part of the bridge at the extreme edge of the travel lane.

Your build is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #46

Quick update on the climateright. I set it up today to test some insulating sleeves I bought for the tunnels (they are pretty thin, and the sun warmed the van up enough to test the AC. Heat still works fine, but no AC.

I just put a warranty request in today (I'm sure they are not there on Sunday) so lets see how they respond.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #47

Sorry it took so long to update this thread on the Climateright. After some testing they sent me a new unit. I gave it a quick test, but didn't have a chance to give it a proper test until yesterday.

It was no false positive. It was 90+ and humid. At one point I got a reading of 120 in the top of the unventilated van! AC is good. Brought it down to about 77 from that. Remember this is a black van with a black roof (eventually to be covered with solar) and no shade. Have a feeling it would be able to keep it at 70 with a primer from the van's AC. Kudos to Climateright for making it right. Of course it cranks the cool air on a warm night.

As an aside the unit POURS out condensation. Seriously if you are dry camping with your generator or solar array, just hook up a hose and all the water you need. Well.. I'd run it though an osmosis filter first.

I did not try it on the vans inverter, not pure sine wave and no reason to risk it on the good unit. Not enough battery power yet.

Just in time for the Carlisle all Fords show this weekend. I'll be on the show field with the van if you are in the neighbourhood and feel like checking it out.

http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis...ord-nationals/
Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #48

Met TONs of people at Carlisle and sent the more interested ones here.

A boat load of interest in the van, it was constantly mobbed. I practically ended up being a spokesman for sportsmobile, cause once people heard how much work it was thus far, they shuttered at the thought.

I did meet one sportsmobile owner, and a few RVers, travelers and boondockers.

More here and on the blog soon.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:41 AM   #49

Never knew about this event, I'll have to check it out next time and park my van next to yours maybe, it's only 2 hours away. I was busy the past 2 days though running the SMB down to Ujoint!
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin View Post
Never knew about this event, I'll have to check it out next time and park my van next to yours maybe, it's only 2 hours away. I was busy the past 2 days though running the SMB down to Ujoint!
Awesome. Way I look at it if can get a whole bunch of people to bring their vans, win!

BTW there are advantages for being part of a club.

I'm part of the Marauder group too though they were bummed I didn't bring it this year.