Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #11

Re: FIRST POST! Building my own campervan (E-250)

Sorry. Didn't see link.That AC is only for old cars that have no AC. Look up Star Cools and Danhard. Go to the Sportsmobile website. They have info. Go also to the appliance section here. You could also put a window AC in one of your back doors. I have seen it done with a nice covering. You will need a generator or campground power.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Sorry. Didn't see link.That AC is only for old cars that have no AC. Look up Star Cools and Danhard. Go to the Sportsmobile website. They have info. Go also to the appliance section here. You could also put a window AC in one of your back doors. I have seen it done with a nice covering. You will need a generator or campground power.
Or, with that top, you could put a small window unit in the back of the top, half in and half out. It wouldn't eat up too much space and wouldn't look too bad. Many people think window units look bad any way you mount them in a van, but if you live where there is high humidity these aesthetic trade-offs get more reasonable.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

Garage

Looks like a very complete plan with all the comforts of home!

I would be a little concerned about blocking off part of the side entry door. It's won't be easy to carry much of anything up into the van with such a narrow opening.

Not sure if it's a good idea to put overhead cabinets over the dinette area? Maybe this is normally done by OEM's, but when I did my homebuild I couldn't figure out how to support the cabinets securely with nothing underneath them. Plus I would always hit my head on them.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Or, with that top, you could put a small window unit in the back of the top, half in and half out. It wouldn't eat up too much space and wouldn't look too bad. Many people think window units look bad any way you mount them in a van, but if you live where there is high humidity these aesthetic trade-offs get more reasonable.
When you say window unit, you mean the one you buy for a house 110v? is there a brand that makes them for an RV 12v? how much btu for a small campervan?

thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Looks like a very complete plan with all the comforts of home!

I would be a little concerned about blocking off part of the side entry door. It's won't be easy to carry much of anything up into the van with such a narrow opening.

Not sure if it's a good idea to put overhead cabinets over the dinette area? Maybe this is normally done by OEM's, but when I did my homebuild I couldn't figure out how to support the cabinets securely with nothing underneath them. Plus I would always hit my head on them.
Remember the rear opening is still accessible, but I have been considering flipping the bathroom with the sink/stove unit but keeping the refrigerator in the corner.

I plan on building the upper cabinets out of 1/4" thick plywood, as light as possible but with a maximum of space, I think I would get used to spending time in a small campervan but the Roadtrek/Pleasure Way models have outside storage that the DIY campervans don't have so I'm gonna need all the storage I can get.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #16

No 12 volt ACs only swamp coolers. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
evy

Quote:
No 12 volt ACs only swamp coolers.
Do you have any brand name? models? I can't seem to find anything on the net for RVs.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #18

Do you want swamp coolers or ACs? I gave two companies in earlier post. Swamp cooler will be roof style.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

Evy,

Welcome and nice work on the drawings!

I have a 24" fixed top with a Fantastic fan in the center of the top, at 5'10" I bump my head on the knob that opens the vent. You might consider moving the vent rear over the dinette where you'll be sitting to minamize the impact to the skull.

-P
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
evy

Quote:
Do you want swamp coolers or ACs? I gave two companies in earlier post. Swamp cooler will be roof style.
I'm sorry I can't seem to find what you posted earlier but I found this website :
http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html
But there's no pictures of a working model, where are they installed?

I can't install anything other then low profile vent caps on the roof, no ACs (garage door).