Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
evy

Re: FIRST POST! Building my own campervan (E-250)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodavan
Evy,
Welcome and nice work on the drawings!
I have a 24" fixed top with a Fantastic fan in the center of the top, at 5'10" I bump my head on the knob that opens the vent. You might consider moving the vent rear over the dinette where you'll be sitting to minamize the impact to the skull.
-P
Thanks!

what is your fixed top model/brand? what was the free height listed at?

This is the model I'm leaning towards :
http://morymaster.com/toit-sureleve/toi ... -siville/#

I don't have much of a choice, can't seem to find any other brands in my area (Montreal Canada)
the free height is listed at 76"H but I'm adding insulation/plywood (ceiling/floor) so on paper I should end up with 72.5"H of free space, what is your free space?

If I can find a place near the border and if the price is right I could go with that option.

The "Siville" model by Mory is listed at 2250$ + taxes = 2587$
Installation is 500$ extra...

The location of the Fantastic vent is also ment to be used as the stove's range hood and extract humidity from the bathroom if needed, If I can leave it there I will but If I don't have the choice I will move it skullwise thanks.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Evy,

I have a 24" fixed top with a Fantastic fan in the center of the top, at 5'10" I bump my head on the knob that opens the vent. You might consider moving the vent rear over the dinette where you'll be sitting to minamize the impact to the skull.

-P
I used to have an Aliner hard sided popup before getting an SMB. Thought I would mention that fantastic fan makes a version with a low profile knob specifically for popups. These were used in the Aliner because the folding roof panels have almost no clearance between them. You can probably use one of these low profile ones to help with the head knocking. From my understanding if you call Fantastic fan and mention the low profile ones used in Aliner's they will know exactly what you are talking about. I don't think they cost extra, but you have to ask for them. Unfortunately I don't think you can just swap pieces on an existing vent as I recall the motor placement is slightly different as well.

Mike
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #23

Danhard and Starcool are what Sportsmobile uses. The are 110 ac not 12volt. I think Roadtrek uses Starcool as well but it is up above the rear doors. You will need generator or plug in to campground/house power. I just thought of one more called Koolcat.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
Quote:
Evy,
-P
Thanks!

what is your fixed top model/brand? what was the free height listed at?

This is the model I'm leaning towards :
http://morymaster.com/toit-sureleve/toi ... -siville/#

I don't have much of a choice, can't seem to find any other brands in my area (Montreal Canada)
the free height is listed at 76"H but I'm adding insulation/plywood (ceiling/floor) so on paper I should end up with 72.5"H of free space, what is your free space?

If I can find a place near the border and if the price is right I could go with that option.

The "Siville" model by Mory is listed at 2250$ + taxes = 2587$
Installation is 500$ extra...

The location of the Fantastic vent is also ment to be used as the stove's range hood and extract humidity from the bathroom if needed, If I can leave it there I will but If I don't have the choice I will move it skullwise thanks.

I have the 24" bubble top from fiberine, they are out of California.
http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html#32
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #25
evy

Update!

I found a 2001 Ford E350 diesel 7.3 P.S. with a high top already installed, I didn't buy it yet because I can't seem to find any one or garage that is qualified to inspect the vehicle.
As soon as I mention the words "diesel and Van" they hang up... ugh

Anyways here's where I'm at on my design.

Let me know what you think!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #26

I have been following your designing thread which is very interesting. Hopefully someone has not already addressed this.

You mentioned using 1/4" ply for the cabinets. I do not think this will work unless you are using the 1/4" for the sides of two cabinets that will be adjacent to each other to make it effectively 1/2" wall and then creating face frames from larger stock. Any single layer cabinet side would have to be 1/2". I have fabricated shelves and various other structures for the interior of our van and 1/2" is the smallest I felt structurally comfortable with for the verticals. Depending on span 1/2" to 3/4" is what I used for shelves. I then added rigidity by adding a face piece which also acts as a keeper for items on the shelf. Shelves and spaces were sized for plastic storage bins used to organize various items. Easy to pull out an everything has its place

Just my experience. btw - I have a rain cover shroud for a Max Fan if you or anyone else is looking for one. PM me.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #27
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
I have been following your designing thread which is very interesting. Hopefully someone has not already addressed this.
You mentioned using 1/4" ply for the cabinets. I do not think this will work unless you are using the 1/4" for the sides of two cabinets that will be adjacent to each other to make it effectively 1/2" wall and then creating face frames from larger stock. Any single layer cabinet side would have to be 1/2". I have fabricated shelves and various other structures for the interior of our van and 1/2" is the smallest I felt structurally comfortable with for the verticals. Depending on span 1/2" to 3/4" is what I used for shelves. I then added rigidity by adding a face piece which also acts as a keeper for items on the shelf. Shelves and spaces were sized for plastic storage bins used to organize various items. Easy to pull out an everything has its place
Just my experience. btw - I have a rain cover shroud for a Max Fan if you or anyone else is looking for one. PM me.
I agree.
1/4" is pretty thin, I will probably only use it for the door panels, but I will probably use "Russian plywood" which has many more layers and is much more strong structurally, BUT! nothing has been decided yet, right now I'm a sponge, absorbing all the information I can get! thanks for your input "1der"

Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
Update!
As soon as I mention the words "diesel and Van" they hang up... ugh
From what I gather, the 6.0 that went into many vans was problematic. They may have this assumption stuck in their heads. Also, a lot of high tops won't go up on the lift in little mom-and-pop garages. Don't you have a mechanic with whom you've worked before?
Quercus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #29
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus
From what I gather, the 6.0 that went into many vans was problematic. They may have this assumption stuck in their heads. Also, a lot of high tops won't go up on the lift in little mom-and-pop garages. Don't you have a mechanic with whom you've worked before?
No I don't have a mechanic, haven't had the need for one, I guess I've been lucky with my cars.

This project is going no where fast, I'm stuck between people's opinion "buy this one" "don't buy that one"
In other word I'm confused on which model to buy vs what is for sale in my area.
Also when I find a Diesel, can't have it inspected... I don't want to take any chances, investing a whole campervan build on a problematic van is the last thing I want to do.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

The 7.3 is a great motor, can't say the same for the 6.0, that I would stay away from, especially with no diesel shops around. If that '01 7.3 is still avail, I'd take another look, becoming harder to find good 7.3's, what was the millage on that one?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote