Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Fixed top worth it?

Hey guys,
I'm planning my cross country trip to pick up and install a 20" fiberine top on my 2006 5.4 quigley with 110k. Let me say I love my van. Blood sweat and tears. But after a suspension lift at CCV which dropped my mpg from 20 to 14, I know a new fixed top will drop some more.

I have a bad back and bending over all the time is getting to me. I'm just wondering your guys thoughts on if it is financially worth it. I know I won't get the money back if I sell, but 5k is a lot to me to drop on a 110k vehicle.

I'd love to hear thoughts.

Many thanks

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Fixed top worth it?

30 mpg with a 5.4 Quigley? Were you awake during this? I'd say 14 is the max for a 5.4 Quigley, and it's about what I got with my 2wd.

That said, I strongly recommend a fixed top. I'm a fan. I've had several pop tops. Keep your eye out for a salvage yard fixed top, which can often be gotten for a couple hundred bucks and easily installed.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

Interesting mpg claims.

I'm on my 4th, and final pop top.
Next van will have a fixed top.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

I struggled with nearly identical circumstances, maybe worse. I have the 5.4, close to 200k miles, and manual locks and windows. The fixed top would put me past the point of recouping my money.

I made a pros and cons list on the whiteboard in my garage, but it didnt really help. Eventually, i grew tired of looking at other vans, worrying about the money, and second guessing myself. I wanted to start my build and start enjoying my van more. So, last month, I drove 1000 miles to order my top and spend the down payment money. Three weeks later I picked up my top and I'm happy. It's done, and I can move forward.

For reference, I went with the 30" super camper top, and my van is an EB 350, stock tire size, Quigley conversion. Without the top, i averaged about 12-14 on a 3000 mile roadtrip. On the way home, with top and 1000 miles on the freeway, i averaged 12-14 mpg. No glaring change in mileage.
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Hahaha,, sorry. Yeah, not 30... 20
Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Thanks neatvan, that's good news and yeah, I'm kinda struggling with all my options.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
Personal plug… if you don't want to spend the extra cash on a Fiberine top you could always go the route of a 24" fixed top form me… Just a thought.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Personal plug… if you don't want to spend the extra cash on a Fiberine top you could always go the route of a 24" fixed top form me… Just a thought.

Sorry MSD. I should've mentioned yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Sorry MSD. I should've mentioned yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries... a junk yard top is better price wise, I had a trade in top that I sold a while back for cheap… Or at least I thought it was cheap at $600.00. I'll be taking in tops like this every so often depending on condition when someone wants to upgrade to a taller top. But usually sell them on CL since shipping is usually around $300-350 no matter where I ship in the lower 48. Haven't tried Fastenal yet for shipping but I guess is a potential option on a used top.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

In my way of looking at it, you would be unlikely to financially recoup your investment in a fixed (or pop) top, whether on a new or used vehicle (even an $80k vehicle returning a high $60k is still a loss). The real way to look at it is whether your investment repays you in use. If you get to use it for X number of years / miles / uses, then you could consider the investment to have been amortized, and to have paid for itself. The real key is figuring how much use would justify and repay the investment of $5k (or whatever your actual cost might be). If you use it a lot and the vehicle goes another 100k miles, perhaps that might be the magic number for you. In the end, it will be a formula unique to your needs and values (YMMV).

I first considered adding a fixed to (though never go to the point of deciding whether to write a check and have it done, or to take a can opener to the van). For now, I think I may live with the standard roof and 2wd for now, and keep the overall budget (beyond my 5.5k purchase cost) to a manageable $5k-ish. Of course, I will have to exercise a lot of restraint if I hang out in this Modland candy store.

Will be interested to see how your story unfolds..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fixed top, quigley