Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #1

Flooring Loncoin Type Adhesive

Hello. I am ready to install my flooring. It is "Husky" brand from Home Depot that is similar to the Loncoin solid sheet flooring. I have done a lot of searching and seen that the vinyl sheet is widely used, but I could not find a lot of information on what kind of adhesive people are using.

It seems like in the limited information I can find, most are using a Henry product. But, there are several products (422, 622, 640, and 650) that all seem similar. I read the manufacturer's descriptions and instructions on their site, and couldn't seem to tell the difference. Also, with each product there are two application styles. One is a "wet" installation where the vinyl is set before the adhesive dries, and the other involves letting the product get tacky before laying the sheet down.

Does anybody have any specific information on what has worked for them? I would appreciate it.

Also, I should mention that I live in Arizona and park my van outside, so it gets very hot inside. Has anybody experienced heat related issues with the adhesive or flooring itself?

Thanks!

exp for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp for View Post
Hello. I am ready to install my flooring. It is "Husky" brand from Home Depot that is similar to the Loncoin solid sheet flooring. I have done a lot of searching and seen that the vinyl sheet is widely used, but I could not find a lot of information on what kind of adhesive people are using.

It seems like in the limited information I can find, most are using a Henry product. But, there are several products (422, 622, 640, and 650) that all seem similar. I read the manufacturer's descriptions and instructions on their site, and couldn't seem to tell the difference. Also, with each product there are two application styles. One is a "wet" installation where the vinyl is set before the adhesive dries, and the other involves letting the product get tacky before laying the sheet down.

Does anybody have any specific information on what has worked for them? I would appreciate it.

Also, I should mention that I live in Arizona and park my van outside, so it gets very hot inside. Has anybody experienced heat related issues with the adhesive or flooring itself?

Thanks!

Assuming the Loncoin product that you are using is a vinyl (not rubber), I would use a brush on contact cement.....like DAP weldwood, etc. These days depending on where you live it comes in a red can or a green can. The red can is the old fashioned highly flammable type and the green can is less volatile.

If you are concerned with heat DAP makes a high temp variant called Landau top adhesive; I've used that all over the place in my van.

If you are in California, the red can stuff and the Landau top adhesive can be tricky to source, but they are available.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Doesn't Husky recommend what to use? Perhaps a call to them explaining your planned usage?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #4

Hello.

In response, yes it is vinyl and not rubber. I am familiar with the Landau top contact cement. I've used gallons of it in my van and am at this point very happy with it. And, at least so far, it is super easy for me to get here.

As for relying on Husky's recommendations, I am a little reluctant. The "instruction manual" that came with my flooring seemed to be more of an after thought. It mentioned to use Roberts 2310 or 2315 adhesive. I can't find that 2315 is an actual product. I found that Roberts products should be interchangeable with Henry products, and I found the Henry website to be much more helpful. Also 2310 can be used in the wet or tacky application, and I'm not sure what to use.

I'm just looking to get as much input from people who have had success with a particular product in a van application. Experience in abnormally high temperatures would be a plus.

Thank you again for your assistance.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The only reason I personally would shy away from a contact cement in the fricking impossible time you'll have removing the Loncoin should you ever want to replace it.

Check with the manufacturer for compatibility with pressure sensitive adhesives as found in the flooring biz---I've used this stuff to great effect:

http://www.robertsconsolidated.com/e...ub=18&prod=317 . Any brand that's high quality will work just as well---this is just one brand I know about.

If there's a drawback to this type product over full-bond contact adhesive is edges exposed to foot traffic might curl over time. Using a metal L channel over those edges will prevent that.

FWIW I used this on my own 2003 flooring (rubber-backed commercial-grade carpet squares) and its been superb since 2012. When/if I need to replace a piece simply peel the old one up, recoat it with the adhesive and let dry to touch before putting it back in place.

Another amazing thing is I had the opened but sealed gallon container for almost 5 years before passing it along to a friend---it was still usable after all that time. A full year or more later and all the carpet is still in place--this is a race car trailer with small workshop or crew area up front.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

I can see how the strong bond of contact cement could be a problem. If I ever had to remove the flooring it would be a bad day, if i had to remove it with the vinyl tearing up layers of plywood with it it would be horrible. So, thats a good point.

Regardless of what adhesive I use, I will definitely have aluminum trim holding down the exposed edges at the side and rear doors.

Thank you everybody for your replies and input.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #7

Since you have the cement, try a small test piece on some plywood. I've successfully pulled up my vinyl material off of ply several times during my build. It may come up...or may not......one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

I agree. I have some testing scheduled for this afternoon. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
......one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.....
Absolutely true!

We all know what's worked for us in the past but nothing replaces an in-place test with materials under consideration.

I do use a BC grade plywood, sanded one side facing up with no pock marks or holes like found with CDX ect. For me that has responded well to replacement or repositioning of carpet squares I've used.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote