Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #151

Flux,

Love you build been going through the pages. I am about to tackle my floor, walls insualtion. How is the material you used on your cargo area working out?
Mainly the floor, does it feel squishy when moving around?

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #152

I used 2 layers of closed cell Ensolite foam. Each layers is 1/8" thick. got the stuff from RAAMAUDIO The foam will compress and doesn't have a ton of memory after being compressed. With the plywood over it there is no squish at all. This was laid over about 50% coverage of butyl deadener. I like the way everything went down, but I would always want for more insulation. I didn't fill the valleys in the floor but I will before my actual flooring goes down, maybe just some reflectix strips, haven't thought it through yet but I have a roll.

My van was a giant resonating tin can when I got it. No interior. It actually sucked to be in there when driving it was so loud. Knowing the top was gonna get popped I didn't put any insulation or deadening up there. Thing to do is just knock on something, if it resonates, put dampener on it. the bigger the panel the more critical it is. I got as much as I could on the outer skin and patched it on the inner behind where I know cabinets will be. Doors I covered pretty hard and the floor of the cab is 100%. Doors with speakers I did extra on the outer skin and patched as much as I could in the inner. It's making a huge difference already!!

In the rear I will stuff the doors and any columns I can. I may use regular fiberglass in the inner cavities to save a little$$. My plan is to use a layer of the 3M SM600L and a layer of reflectix on the inner walls below the windows and cover that with panels before the cabinets and trim go over that. That should be pretty warm and pretty soundproofed, much better than the empty can.

I drove the van last night and got excited because it was somewhat quiet in there with the top on and the doors insulated now too. The vinyl flooring I have will help even more as it will act a bit as MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) and should kill even more road noise coming from the floor. I am also gonna open up the front fenders through the wheel well and get some deadener on those too, they ring like a bell and I know they are resonating into the cab. Eventually I will redo the doghouse as well and kill off some engine noise. Also need to pull the cab headliner out and deaden and insulate up there.

I got the expensive 3M stuff, but if you can do it right, there is nothing wrong with fiberglass or rock wool, you just need to keep it sealed up so the fibers don't get in the air. Both will block sound and insulate. To me it's really worth it. Road quiet is nice.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #153

Hey, Flux thanks for the help. I'm still torn about which material I want to use. Got a mountain bike race next month would like to have some of the inside done for that trip.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #154

You have an interior right?? If you do then you could use just about anything behind the panels in some fashion. The guy that sells the 3M is in Hood River and got it to me quick so you quicker. I plan on some reflectix too in certain areas as it's thin, inexpensive, and can get you some R value as well. So I am kind of planning a sandwich behind some panels and then cabinets over that.

It took me some time to kind of "see" where I should head. Time just looking things over and developing a plan. After seeing the vans at Sportsmobile, I got a lot of ideas and it's not as hard as it might seem, just have to take your time and maybe mess a couple pieces up before getting it dialed.

If you have rear ac/heat, don't put any fiberglass near the blower motor or it'll kick that into your rig. The 3M is safe, just pricey.

And no worries, just passing it along. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just the way you end up doing it that gives you the best bang for your buck.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #155

I had the stock panels on the walls, have removed them install some insualtion. The floor of the cargo area is empty, has been rhino linered over. I have removed all the panels to tighten all the window bolts and clean off all the dirt. Bought some refletix and some batting insulation to stuff inside the walls, but have read that is not good idea. Might leave it in there for this trip until we decide if we want to repace the stock walls with wood walls.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #156

Yeah, I read some stuff about moisture being held in the cavities and that it's bad news. I could see that for sure. Confusing subject.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #157

Garage
Hey Flux, did I hear you say your new poptop is Raptor-lined? I think we need some more and closer-up pics of that thing!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #158

Will do. Might take me a couple days as I am heading out of town.

First impression is that it's different, especially going from a matte textured finish to a gloss smooth. I am pretty glad I got it done though and the unanimous advice here was to do it. Many folks are doing it after the fact when the gel coat is beat down.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #159

Thought I would continue the trend of "small wins" today. So after cleaning the MAF this morning and the van running better, I took it over to my tire guys to check the balance on the tires. As expected, they were all pretty much off and hopefully that was the vibration I was feeling at 70+ mph. Van is tracking great though so I am leaving the alignment alone.

Finished up my dash filler piece with phone holder, USB cable, and Microphone. Looks good next to the upfitters. Gotta get some black screws to replace the zinc ones, but it'll do for now

Passed the cord that runs from the starter battery back to where the electrical will be. I decided to go through the firewall and back. Worked pretty good. Ancor Cable is pretty nice stuff. I will put the split loom on it later.

These beauties have been sitting in my garage for months. The install was pretty easy and I used 3M window sealer. Good trick is to make a ball of the butyl and use it to pick up the rest. Didn't hurt that it was a warm day. Also got on of those window removal tools with the puller on it. Worked great.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #160

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Finished up my dash filler piece with phone holder, USB cable, and Microphone. Looks good next to the upfitters.
Nice setup! I'd like to copy that.

Quote:
Passed the cord that runs from the starter battery back to where the electrical will be. I decided to go through the firewall and back. Worked pretty good. Ancor Cable is pretty nice stuff. I will put the split loom on it later.
You went through the firewall as opposed to...?

Quote:
These beauties have been sitting in my garage for months.

Nice! I'd love those. Maybe I'll visit the local yard... Did you follow somebody's setup for install?