Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #161

Do copy!! I really like having the phone right there. One day I hope to have cool offroad lights that those upfitters control.

I could have run it under the van. For some reason my mind kept telling me that I am supposed to do that.

The rears have a different tint than my stock windows, rosey mirror vs the green/grey. I am gonna tint them all after I replace the big ones I ruined with welding and grinding the floor. It's pretty simple really. A warm day in the sun helps as does the window removal tool.

Remove all the window nuts except the 2 top ones but loosen them real good. Work between the plastic frame and the metal with the window removal tool. Work the whole thing, it will start to come up but still have some butyl on it, then you can take the top safety nuts out and just pry it up. My van was warm in the sun.

Definitely take all the butyl off the pop outs and then apply a new strip all along the frame. I put it on and kind of hand worked the frame to compress the new butyl and then started tightening the nuts in a circle giving a few rotations and moving around so it would compress evenly. Seemed to work good.

Here's the tape I used, it's 5/16 but I bet 1/4" would work well too. I used less than one roll for both rear windows. I bought the 6 pack because it's cheap and I am replacing all the rear windows except the side doors. Again, I wrecked them welding and grinding in the van without protecting them. Live and learn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the tool set I bought, but really only needed the sliver thingy with the pull cable, it goes right through and made short work of the removal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #162

Garage
Great info, thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #163

March Madness - Advance to the Interior Walls Bracket

I surely spent a lot of time perusing all the pics here and one thing that always got me was that the Loncoin flooring always stopped at the cab. A trim piece was put over the seam between the front and back flooring. Cab flooring was always the stock carpet or in my case, that awesome black rubber mat lined with blue jeans. So my idea was to run the flooring front to back continuously.

After some thought, I knew I would have some issues at the transition from my plywood to the cab. the cab is also this wonky formed metal sculpture that sits over the drive train. Then you have the footwells, which are a mess too. So my plan was to make a transition wedge that would allow the flooring to form a bit and not have any trim piece......the rest I would make up.

Here is the transition piece being 3D printed. We have a pretty nice one at work, I can make big stuff.

I pulled all the plywood and the Stock Matt to get the rough cut. This is a 20' piece of Londeck, cheaper than loncoin, minimal difference

Here's the transition in place with the side trim. I used some window butyl to secure it to the plywood and them some good old fashioned Duct Tape to tie it to the floor. The cab floor is sound deadened 100% and then has 2 layers of 1/8" ensolite. For now the cab floor will be floating although I did glue it to the transition. I used a releasable flooring adhesive from Lowes. It works.

Here it is with a sill in.

This van has never had a floor!

Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #164

Here's a couple pics of the finished cab

The camera shows some of the wrinkles pretty good in these pics. They are actually a bit better than they look and certainly better than the stock mat. The next step will be to put a heat gun on these areas and try to stretch and form the vinyl a bit. But sitting in the drivers seat, both my feet are on solid surface and the floating floor is really no matter.

I had to call it quits as I was beat and started to get impatient and made a few mistakes. Long weekend working on the van, but a big victory here. With a battery mount almost ready I can start the interior and systems in earnest.

Hardest thing here is everything I do is brand new so mistakes will be made!! Luckily just a couple little crappy corners and small blunders.

Whoopsie!! Never do final cuts and then pull it back for the glue. Take your time and be very careful. You can can never put material back.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #165

Garage
So cool and looks great. But, I can't tell where you put that transition in.

EDIT: I think I get it now, in that pic you just posted. Is it the transition from cargo area to cab? To accommodate the drop from your cargo plywood?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
So cool and looks great. But, I can't tell where you put that transition in.

EDIT: I think I get it now, in that pic you just posted. Is it the transition from cargo area to cab? To accommodate the drop from your cargo plywood?
Exactly. There was a 3/4" drop give or take. The wedge smooths that out and it's really the area where you step. Behind the seats it rolls over. I also left a void in there for the wiring that crossed to the passenger seat.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #167

Garage
Nice!

---------------------
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #168

Garage
Looks great. Really like it as one piece.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #169

Garage
Looks awesome!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #170
Site Team

Total 3D printer envy.

Herb