Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #171

Oops. I am tired. Here's a pic of the transition wedge and the behind seat pieces in place. This certainly works and there is just a bit of play in the flooring. I do think you could work it flat and glue it in place between the seat and the wedge, but I don't see it as being all that important. Maybe when I get a little time I will heat it and put some weight there to form it a bit. You really only step in the middle on the wedge. It could have been done with plywood and .3/4" 1/4 rounds.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #172

So I am an idiot........in case that hasn't become apparent though my posts.

So after my grim realization that I sandblasted my interior windows grinding down my hole welds on the floor, I thought maybe my self imposed setbacks might be over. No such luck.

After getting the van floor in I went to get my Bench Seat Backer plates from the back of my pickup. They were gone. Instantly I thought they got picked by someone lurking on trash night. So I set up to make another set. Not that big a deal. Made the new set at work and drove home. Grabbed them to put them up to the bolt holes to match drill them and what do you know, one of them was gone. So another realization that my plates weren't stolen, the slipped through the crack in the tailgate and are on the road some place. DOH!!

Good news is I found one of them wedged in the bumper!! They are flat so hopefully I didn't ruin any innocent tires.

Hopefully the bench and battery get in this week, then it's all about the interior and electrical.....and my kids can finally take a van ride!

Home Build = Mistakes will be made
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #173

Garage
Ha ha, gotta love the little stuff...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #174

Looks sweet!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #175

Got the 4D battery box back from the powdercoater. Popped it in for a dry test fit. Seems to be pretty good but I might have to modify my Crossmember as I thought I could slide it forward but the body mount is right there. Typical me manuever. As you can see, I utilized the van frame crossmember and the box rests on top of it and my fabricated corssmember. So everything kind of hangs instead of bolting up into. The box is 12 gauge mild steel (0.105") and doubles up underneath. The strength here is that the welds only hold things in place and the box is formed essentially. I will probably put a couple safety straps around it just in case I estimated wrong or vibration causes stress cracks.

Here sits the box, loaded and ready to lift on in. Still figuring on where to put the zip ties.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #176

Garage
These battery box pics are really helpful, thx for posting em.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #177

Here's a shot of the inside with the 3/4" angle welded in there so there is a base. I was match drilling the crossmember and the box flange. The two holes on the other flange match existing holes in the crossmember. I lined it with some sticky back 1/16" buna rubber sheet on the bottom and up over the angles. That battery won't be moving I don't think.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #178

A few Updates:

Got the battery box in and of course I overlooked a couple things and had to take the top off because of a crossmember on the body and my support had to be modified but that's why I have a grinder with a cutting wheel. I was concerned about integrity, but after it was bolted in I am no longer concerned. There's still a nice space between the battery box and the underfloor storage. Might be a good place for a water tank some day....

Got the sidewalls insulated and added a built up wood stringer along the base of the windows. This is where I can attach panels and the structure of the cabinets. I bolted aluminum angle to the pinch welds along the bottom edge and will use the very bottom for running wires and it will get covered with a trim. I am taking Wonderboy's advice here and leaving wireways. This is my first rodeo, and I am sure I will forget something. This is the 3M thinsulate. So there is a layer of 1/8" ensolite on the metal skin, then thinsulate, then reflextix. Where I could, I stuffed the inner cavity with the thinsulate.

Insulation finished

Got the bench and belts installed and the boys got their first van rides. Did a road trip to Mammoth and they got their first day on the hill with skis!!

I try to keep multiple sub projects moving. These are the first parts to my bumper. Steel frame with aluminum shell. There are Comp 4x4 Heavy duty spindles. They come with the DOM sleeves which are inserted into my 3x4 1/4" tubing. Basically you put the spindles into the dom sleeve, get everything set, then weld in the dom sleeves and that will hold the spindles. You do tack the spindles into the sleeves. More pics on this as it goes together. Piece by piece.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #179

Garage
Nice! Congrats on the kids getting to go for a cruise!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #180

nice!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote