Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Na, we're all fans at various stages of experience and talent here. Glad to have you along. How you can really impress us is to hold on to that Porsche long with twins. ............Unless it's a Panamera.

Well it was really either a really used Porsche or a Van. Van won. But yeah, it would have been a Turbo, a really really used Turbo.

This goes way back to my much younger days and heading off to college. I thought that if I made it, I would have a Porsche. Family life has certainly changed my priorities.

I wanted to retire early too and pursue a different career, that too went out the window with the dawning of the Ginger Army!

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #32

Thanks for sharing. I am in the process of doing a "low skill" conversion of an RB passenger, similar to what you're doing. I haven't pulled the trigger on the sofa seat but have been wondering about the shop4seats sofas. Good to know about the belts. How does the sofa attach to the floor? Brackets or just bolts through the frame? Thanks for any info, and I look forward to see what else you're doing.
tjboeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #33

They provide hold down brackets that bolt through. You can purchase backer plates from them but I want something bigger that overlaps the cross members on the deck.

My plan is to build up some aluminum to match my plywood floor height and use steel backer under the floor. Flooring will lay right over with only the bolt mounting holes exposed. I will post more pics as I go.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #34

I still haven't given up hope on building my own bumpers and here are some musings on a hybrid (Steel and Aluminum) setup for the back. I went with the typical offroad steel spindle pivots and set them wide. They tie in directly to the frame. The bumper will be all aluminum and basically bolt on to the steel. I took this one a little further than the last and am pretty happy with the result. I think I can do this one pretty easily. If the spindles prove to not be as strong as I had hoped, I can redo certain portions of the bumper. 273 lbs including the 100lb tire and the storage box.

One thing I like here is the ability to swing the arms almost 180°. This way I can use the box as a galley and face it toward where the awning will be and cook right off the bottom hinged door. Top door will hinge up. Box will still fit 4 Jerry Cans.

Still gotta work out the in bumper storage and a strong latching mechanism. Probably use spring loaded pop pins to keep the arms in position. the Brush guards also prevent the arms from swinging around and hitting the van.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #35

Garage
Love it!!!! Great design for the bumper, can I get one?? Man i need to develop some fabrication skills and tools. I can dream and design and do good with woodwork but metal fabrication is out of my skill set.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #36

Thanks nemesis! If you are a good woodworker, you can figure out metal. The hardest thing to fab here will be the box actually. Everything else could literally be cut and drilled by hand and put together by a decent welding shop. A sheet metal shop could build you a lot of the aluminum components. You can actually buy pre bent tubing elbows and weld them in, I plan on doing this instead of buying a tube bender. It'll be extra welding, but I know some guys....
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #37

Took the rig down to El Cajon for a few upgrades. Can't say enough good things about John and the crew down there. Got to drive his rig and all I can say is that the suspension is "plush".

Old 12-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #38

You certainly will not be disappointed!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #39

That's a killer box design! I like it! I need it! I must have it!
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
You certainly will not be disappointed!

Can't........F*$&ing......Wait!

Had a good time cruising the industrial zone looking for big potholes to hit.