Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #51

Garage
2011 is confirmed plastic.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #52

I am thinking plastic came in in 2010 or 2011. Depending on who you talk to about changes those are the dates that come up for changes is the RSC and this tank thing. The tank change may have come sooner as I looked for aftermarket tanks which are plentiful until 2008 and then they cease. This may have been when CARB compliance came around.

I probably should not have mentioned the tank thing as it worried some folks about Agile. It was a thing that John was concerned about for less than 24 hours and the problem was solved when his tank guy figured out the twist lock fuel cell thing. All I can say is what others have said about Agile:

You are getting a really good, well thought out 4x4 system from some great folks.

After driving John's van I was sold. They have their system really dialed in, I can't wait!!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I probably should not have mentioned the tank thing as it worried some folks about Agile. It was a thing that John was concerned about for less than 24 hours and the problem was solved when his tank guy figured out the twist lock fuel cell thing. All I can say is what others have said about Agile:

You are getting a really good, well thought out 4x4 system from some great folks.

After driving John's van I was sold. They have their system really dialed in, I can't wait!!

I'm more interested in the aftermarket tank options available to the E350s, never was concerned about Agile making something work. I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtolle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolle777 View Post
Thanks for the info... exactly what I was looking for. I've done a bit of research on the fuel tank options available for these vans, so it's nice to know someone has worked it out.

As far as a van goes, I'm looking for exactly what you have (at least from what I can tell).

2009+ Passenger E350 EB with the v10 and torqshift 5 speed

Have not found very many....that were clean and not abused anyways. I may just get the 5.4 as I spoke to Agile and the seemed to think it wasn't that big of a deal unless I tow heavy and often (which at this point, I don't)

Edit- saw you have a cargo version with the windows

Well I started here too with the "what kind of van should I buy" and everyone helped me out and it's been great.

As far as increased capacity fuel tanks, there is a rear mount 55 gallon that is available in aftermarket for 2010+. I already put in a storage box so that was out. There are some new emissions junk on there and that is the big concern.

A Couple things a out 2010+ vans:

They have extra measures of RSC which can be good and bad at times. John has that worked out with the tone ring they put on their axle.

You probably won't be able to find a Full Float Rear Axle that works with the later RSC. The only SRW full floats came on their cutaways used for box vans and they did not have RSC. You will throw codes and there is no easy way around it. What I did learn is that Ford used larger bearings in the Semi's of that year so that helped alot. I forgot to aks Ujoint if their Sterlings were RSC compatible. For now, I will stick with Semi Float.

You may also only find 2010's with Open Rear differentials. Agile is upgrading mine to a Limited Slip which will help negate the negative RSC effects that can happen off road. It's easy to tell on the axle, you just have to look at the tag near the rear diff cover.

The good news is that if you find the V-10 it will have a torqueshift and it will be a monster. My van weighs 6500 right now and it seriously hauls ass. That will change a bit when I put the bigger tires on and am staying with 3.73, but I suspect that the extra gear in the 5 speed is a low end take off gear and the van should compensate well. We will see when it's got all it's gear and a pop top on it.

That being said, the 5.4 is a great motor and has a good trans as well. There are tunes available that will get you more power and different shifting that others have described as "waking up the 5.4". Remember that the gassers generate their torque and HP at high RPM, which is very different from the diesels. When I floor the V10 from a standstill, it shifts at 5000 RPM through the first couple gears. The 5.4 will do similarly. Both are very reliable well built motors with good transmissions.

Another thing I have learned along the way is that the mid 2000's vans have a lot of aftermarket stuff and it's easier to swap axles etc. Sometimes you can find a great deal on these and build up an amazing rig. I learned this kind of after i got my 2013. All these vans are good, and they all have their ups and downs with modifications.

I did see a couple really nice V-10 passenger vans on Autotrader. One was a silver one in Portland area. If I was still looking I would be after that one for sure.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #55

Quote:
I'm more interested in the aftermarket tank options available to the E350s, never was concerned about Agile making something work. I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.

My reservations were only because of some other 4x4 conversion companies that have notorious issues. It just made me concerned in general. Agile is very very dialed in.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #56

Pretty much I have a picture in my head of the GAATMHQ sitting up proud on it's 285's. It's the kind of mental snapshot that started the addiction. John at Agile had said he would keep me in the loop as the build progressed and I guess my rig is on the lift right now!! Gonna be a great X-mas.

Here's the custom tank from Aero. Bless the guy that put that thing together. All that emissions junk. Yikes.

The TTB axle mount

Hey! I can see my transfer case from here!

Closeup of the crux

Insert Limited Slip here

New Springs and a Photobomber

I know this is a Home Build and all, but this type of thing is way way over my head. Big ups to the Agile guys, they are gonna make the dream happen.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #57

Garage
Quote:

If you in an EB than just find a 55 gallon chassis cab tank at a yard and put it in your van. If its diesel its actually super easy but if its gas its gonna just take a little more thought. Biggest obstacle will be where to put the fill hole.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
If you in an EB than just find a 55 gallon chassis cab tank at a yard and put it in your van. If its diesel its actually super easy but if its gas its gonna just take a little more thought. Biggest obstacle will be where to put the fill hole.

I kind of screwed that option with the Underfloor Storage box. It could be removed, but I made it myself so it's a small point of pride!

I'll just mount Rotopax all over the body like exploding armor.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #59

I went with a 43ish gallon tank on mine. Definitely helps with the decreased mpg after the tire and 4x4.

Exciting with all of the pictures rolling in. We need you to get your van back so we can watch you install those floors!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #60

Garage
Flux - your van looks awesome, I can't wait to see it finished and I think its great that you were able to get a custom Aero tank installed. You should let them know if they made a couple more they would easily be sold for future DIY, just don't price them too high ha ha.