Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #31

Hit a snag with my Dometic 9500 power awning

After taking the previous pictures I ran into issues when returning the awning to the stored position. The lead rail was two low on the left hand side.

At first I wasn't to worried because there are adjustments for the pitch of the awning, I was hoping that this would be a simple adjustment and I would be a happy camper. Unfortunately, the next thing I found was worse, one of the set screws for this adjustment appears to have been cross threaded, and is frozen.

For the record the unit is supposed to show up with the pitch set to 5 degrees, there is no way this one ever was. When first contacting Dometic they seemed helpful up until I showed them what I thought was wrong. Then they told me to take it back to the installer, I told them I was the installer and was told they only warranty work done by qualified Dometic installers.

I did take it to my local Camping World, they were kind enough to look it over and said my installation was fine. They really didn't want to get in the middle of it, because I didn't purchase through them. I will now go back to my place of purchase and see what avenues I can take, although I see now they aren't carrying Dometic awnings anymore.

I did play around with it today and just need a little more tweaking, I have moved the frozen screw some, just not enough. I think a couple of more hours I might get it to work. But I can not and will not recommend the unit based on current issues and resolutions.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #32

Ouch. Unfortunately, a DIY install will often have that issue. If something goes awry, you may be on your own.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Ouch. Unfortunately, a DIY install will often have that issue. If something goes awry, you may be on your own.
Yes, I agree 100% . I definitely can't recommend them if your doing a DIY install. I still am unhappy with the quality out of their factory. From all the documentation the unit should be set up with a 5 degree slope , which obviously is not the case. We will see how it goes.

I went with this unit because I was intrigued with the lack of corner poles, I went with the power option because the lack of poles, means that the unit has a wind sensor. If it gets to windy, it can retract itself.

Who knows, when I get it all dialed in, it may goes on my list of great additions.
-greg
Old 11-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #34

Added some Amp Research Powersteps

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Their installation guide is very good, I had to use a combination rivnuts, tapping existing inserts and use of existing bolts. Make sure you check the drill bit sizes before you start. (unless you have a large set of drill bits). The wiring harness was really nice.

-greg
Old 11-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #35

Those are SWEEEET!
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #36

Adding a step height perspective. This is on a stock (at the moment) 2020 AWD.

-greg
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #37

Garage
Yeah, sweet. Sure makes a big difference.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #38

Garage
OK, I too like those AMP power steps. I've looked at your last picture several times now and it seems to have consumed me >>> I know you're a miracle worker Scalf77, but you need to satisfy the obvious; How the heck did you get that board to "balance" in front of the tape measure ??? Its not elevated from the plastic threshold so no tape under it, I see no screws on the top, and cant detect any way it is mounted to the tape measure itself... Its obvious you have my curiosity peeked since it defies gravity!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #39

Looks like they've changed the footwell design since 2016. I have not seen one like yours.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #40

Double sided tape.
-greg