Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Ford Transit buildout

A friend of mine and I started a side business renting sportsmobiles out of southern California. We have a few running around and decided to get something a bit more modern and a bit cheaper with the downside being that we need to build it out ourselves. We are both surfers and tend to enjoy outdoor activities, but both have kids (he has 4 kids and I have 3) so we need something that will seat adults and kids. Our current plan is to leave the triple bench, install a dinette setup behind that bench and a kitchen unit that pulls out of the back.

The trouble with the transit is it hasn't been around as long as the sprinter so there are fewer off-the-shelf solutions. I am starting this thread so others can chime in about what they have done and maybe people will get some ideas of what they want to do.

Started with a stock 2017, 3.7, 148", mid-roof passenger van with 55k on it. We wanted the windows and the rear AC and airbags for the second row. I would have preferred a Crew Van, but I'm not buying new unless this thing starts making crazy money.

Added some 235/75/16 tires on moto-metal wheels I bought off a forum member.

Then we started on the benches. Got them installed this weekend. Had to add some 1/8" plate steel supports. The sofa and bench are both RB components pieces. They are local to SoCal so we could pick up in person. The back of the sofa flips down to fill the gap. We had to adjust them to get them to fit right and we need to add additional support legs because we don't feel like the small mounts to the wall are enough.

I will take some closer up pics of the mounts when I have a chance. These benches aren't for use while in motion, just for when you are camping.

I will update more when I have more time to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2681.jpg   IMG_2717.jpg  

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #2

Hey Gramps, looks good. I don't know why these build threads aren't getting many comments these days...

I'll be following your progress!
rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

Excellent! That makes one. I will post more pics soon, but right now its at the dealer getting a new cat installed. Thank goodness for the warranty.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

I'm looking forward to seeing it too!

Did they say why the cat went out? They certainly don't fail spontaneously.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

That’s weird about the cat.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

I have only owned it for about 120 miles max. Bought it with 55k on it and got a check engine light after starting the build out. It's certified pre-owned, so I just took it to the dealer and thats what they told me. I think it's weird too, but don't really care because of the warranty. Just want it back!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Transit Passenger build out

Hi! I do like the Transits, wondering if you have the side impact airbags above the windows? If so does that rule out upper cabinets?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by torboschen View Post
Hi! I do like the Transits, wondering if you have the side impact airbags above the windows? If so does that rule out upper cabinets?

We do have those airbags. We kept them to protect second row passengers and also out build out doesn’t include upper cabinets. So it was an easy choice.

For 2020 ford is releasing a transit with just front seats and a bench behind with airbags for those rows. Essentially a cargo van behind that so you could do uppers in one of those very easily.