Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Ford transit van?

I am thinking a company like this http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/ could make the ford transit van appealing? There is talk the transit will come in 4x4.... not nearly as beefy or clearance as the ford E series. The chatter is it will replace the E series line?? I wonder if Sportsmobile has looked at this? I know some people hate the look but it is all about the functionality of it. Possible business idea, small, fuel efficient, can hold a motorcycle and camp in it? I think there is a market for these.

This is the Honda element that the above company makes a pop top for.

They can do it for the transit van too similar shape......

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Re: Ford transit van?

Attached Thumbnails
IM005986.jpg  
meeeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I asked Alan Feld about the Transit van, and I think he said that there was room for only about a 6' bed. They're pretty little.
Bill
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

This company has a Ford Transit Connect minicampervan that was converted by Sportsmobile. It is small. There is a pic on the home page.

http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Team

I've laid down in a Transit. I'm 6' even. My feet were against the back doors and my head was between the front seats.

If you look at this photo from the campervan site you can see what looks to be a hinged section at the left end of the bed and directly behind the seats.

I'm assuming the front seat are either moved forward or folded forward to allow that hinged section to be folded up and complete the bed platform. That would allow for a 6 foot bed.
Just don't sit up in bed too quickly.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

I was thinking someone could do a pop top that went all the way forward over the front seats so the sleeping would be upstairs in the PH. Downstairs could be storage, fridge, sink maybe, and seating? I have never seen one in person so it is all theory. Sounds like they are too small for this even?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware

I saw photos and a floor plan of these things recently. Plus I've seen a few driving around here. I think they're too small to fit a decent sized RV inside. You'd be cramped by yourself, never mind if you had a passenger or a family with you.

I'd stick w/ the E-350 RB/EB sized vans.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
I've laid down in a Transit. I'm 6' even. My feet were against the back doors and my head was between the front seats.

If you look at this photo from the campervan site you can see what looks to be a hinged section at the left end of the bed and directly behind the seats.

I'm assuming the front seat are either moved forward or folded forward to allow that hinged section to be folded up and complete the bed platform. That would allow for a 6 foot bed.
Just don't sit up in bed too quickly.
Are you certain it was a Transit and not a Transit Connect? The Transit Connect is currently sold in the U.S., while the Transit is not sold here. The Transit, made in Turkey by Ford, is only sold in Europe. Alan Feld says Ford will replace the E series with the Transit (not Transit Connect) in 2013. One of the U.S. plants that makes the E series will be converted and the Transit manufactured here. Alan holds some small hope Ford will produce both the Transit and the E series for some time.

Though the E series holds dominance in the van sector, Ford can see the handwriting on the wall, written by the MB Sprinter. People want fuel economy. In Europe, Sprinters come in 4 lengths. The shortest is similar to the Ford Transit Connect, and is sold only in Europe. The other three are sold here.

Perhaps the Transit will become available in 4WD or AWD; if not, Sportsmobile will likely be able to upfit it. The Transit diesel is slightly larger than the MB. That small engine and the narrow body are both concerns to me, though it's nice one can get the tall roof as OEM.

By the time I can afford an offroad vehicle, the choice of using a van may have withered away. That's why I am also keeping an open mind about a 4WD pickup based expedition vehicle. (Please don't burn me at the stake for heracy .) Currently those are manufactured by Host, Xplorer, Provan-Tiger, and EarthRoamer. The vehicle would come from the factory already having 4WD and that component would not need to be done by an upfitter, though heavier shocks, etc. would.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Site Team

My Bad. It was a Transit Connect.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

Here is a picture of the Ford Transit? They are in Europe but not in the USA yet. This will be the platform that takes over the E series van.