Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
...Despite the rain on and off all day I was able to get both cabinets installed with the cold water system and electrical system all hooked up and functional....
Depending on if you're going to spend a lot of time cold weather camping, you may want to install an upper and lower air "registers" to allow air to circulate in that cabinet. If the cabinet is closed, the cold air may settle in there and cause the water to freeze.

Great work either way, it looks like a very clean, professional install.

Herb

Old 10-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #32

Garage
I have my inverter/charger and Espar heater both mounted inside my gaucho base, and as BroncoHauler mentions I was concerned about the temp inside - For me, it was more about controlling the heat. I installed 2" round vents that allow the air to circulate (6 across the top and 5 on the low...makes a big difference! Very easy to install; unobtrusive & inexpensive. With your cabinet material you'd probably need to use an adhesive to keep them in place, and the black ones would blend right in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Depending on if you're going to spend a lot of time cold weather camping, you may want to install an upper and lower air "registers" to allow air to circulate in that cabinet. If the cabinet is closed, the cold air may settle in there and cause the water to freeze.

Great work either way, it looks like a very clean, professional install.

Herb
Great feedback. I am not currently planning any cold weather trips but will keep an eye on that if I do. If I placed the vents on the forward facing panel they would be mostly hidden from view anyway by the captain chair.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I have my inverter/charger and Espar heater both mounted inside my gaucho base, and as BroncoHauler mentions I was concerned about the temp inside - For me, it was more about controlling the heat. I installed 2" round vents that allow the air to circulate (6 across the top and 5 on the low...makes a big difference! Very easy to install; unobtrusive & inexpensive. With your cabinet material you'd probably need to use an adhesive to keep them in place, and the black ones would blend right in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The solar charge controller has a temperature probe on it. I will make sure to monitor the temp and then add some vents to where the electrical is all stored if needed. That compartment is going to have some natural venting due to the curved corner of the van, so hopefully that is enough.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #35

Finished the cabinets last week and got out to the desert for the maiden voyage! Between the High-roof pop top, aluminess box, and the cabinets packing was incredible. The picture looking at the back of the van is actually fully packed! The cabinets fit an incredible amount of gear, and all the clothes and bedding just fit in the pop top. We use the big space between the fridge and captain chairs to set up my son's crib.

The other item that impressed were the window shades that I ordered. $200 for reflecting window shades for EVERY window in the car. Front, Rear, and all the sides! They have suction cups so that they don't fall off and velcro straps to roll them up for storage. There were a few small gaps where they didn't fit perfect, but overall worked great.

Only other thing to add was that I had to take the handles off the fridge to get it to fit between the cabinets. Kitchen situation needs some refinement but that will be the next project.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3793.jpg   IMG_3795.jpg   IMG_3817.jpg   IMG_3816.jpg  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #36

As far as the trip goes the van performed great! Suspension felt great off-road and not even a sniff of getting stuck. Solar/Fridge setup worked flawlessy. One minor hiccup with the water tank where we still had water left but couldn't pump it out. I think the down stem is curved upwards a bit so once it got too low it stopped working. Should be an easy fix.

Not a soul within miles of us and we had excellent weather. Low 80s during the day and stayed above 50 at night.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3790.jpg   IMG_3810.jpg  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #37

Where did your source the window covers?

The interior looks awesome!
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
The other item that impressed were the window shades that I ordered. $200 for reflecting window shades for EVERY window in the car. Front, Rear, and all the sides! They have suction cups so that they don't fall off and velcro straps to roll them up for storage. There were a few small gaps where they didn't fit perfect, but overall worked great...
I have HeatShield windshield protectors in every vehicle, and a full window set for my Excursion. Love them.

Herb
Old 11-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
Where did your source the window covers?

The interior looks awesome!
Ordered them from High End Motorsports. I had been looking around for a while and everything else seemed obscenely expensive, like thousands of dollars to cover all of my windows. Pleasantly surprised when I found them and that they made them for all of the passenger windows as well.

https://www.high-end-motorsports.com...sun-shade.html
Old 11-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #40
Site Team

I'm pretty sure these are manufactured by HeatShield.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/

Herb