Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #1

freshwater plumbing

My new build is going to have a basic cold water sink setup. I might add hot later but certainly no room for a typical RV water heater. I'm using a 15x15 sink, and just plumbing the cold handle using an Aquatainer jug under the sink run through a Flojet water pump. I am not opposed to cutting a hole in the side of the van for a fresh water fill, but open to suggestions on a decent looking one. So far what I've found are the huge white plastic box types for RVs.

Also, the drain. How should I run this? My plan is to just pop a hole in the floor and have a drain on to the ground, but I definitely will put a hose connection on it so I can run it to a portable tank when needed (keep in mind this is really just for hand washing, nothing more). Should I do a proper plastic sink trap, or just use flexible drain pipe from sink to floor?

Any ideas/experience appreciated

thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #2

Re: freshwater plumbing

The 'p' trap is there to keep a loop of water in the pipe to prevent odors further down the lines from backing up into the sink. No point in that when you are just dumping it to the ground or to a disposal container. A straight pipe works just fine.

As for the external city water fillers, if all you have in the van is a small-ish water container there is not a lot of benefit in a city water connection. That's designed for internal water systems with fairly high water use.

You could just carry 2 water cans and swop them out when one empties if you are staying in an RV park, or carry a water grade hose with a shut off valve at the end and feed it in through the window. If you really want an external connection you could look at the VW ones. They are fairly small.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #3

freshwater plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
The 'p' trap is there to keep a loop of water in the pipe to prevent odors further down the lines from backing up into the sink. No point in that when you are just dumping it to the ground or to a disposal container. A straight pipe works just fine.

As for the external city water fillers, if all you have in the van is a small-ish water container there is not a lot of benefit in a city water connection. That's designed for internal water systems with fairly high water use.

You could just carry 2 water cans and swop them out when one empties if you are staying in an RV park, or carry a water grade hose with a shut off valve at the end and feed it in through the window. If you really want an external connection you could look at the VW ones. They are fairly small.
1. Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking.

2. I know, I'm torn between cutting another hole in the van. I don't think it would get used that often, because....

3. I always carry an RV hose/pressure regulator/shuttoff/y-connector with me.

Thanks Witoke! I'll look at the VW ones nonetheless. GoWesty maybe?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

I use the two-container method and it seems to work just fine. I'm even one step simpler just using a hand pump faucet instead of electric. It does a great job for conserving water but certainly makes washing your hands a bit trickier if that is what you are after. We mostly just like to have some convenient water for drinking, making coffee, rinsing utensils, wetting a washcloth, etc. Eventually I think I will work towards a bigger freshwater tank and possibly hot water as well but we are doing just fine for now. No electrical to worry about, no external lines/tanks to freeze, no permanent tank to condition for winter. Easy.

Our water jugs are actually only 1 gallon containers as that is what I threw together so we could have water on our first trip out. I haven't changed it yet! They are pretty easy to swap out and we typically are close enough to water I often don't even worry about bring more than two gallons on board at any one time. If needed, I just bring an aquatainer like you are talking about for additional capacity and then you have that to set up outside if needed too.

I spent more time than I needed to setting up the p-trap to drain straight outside... should have just straight piped it!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

freshwater plumbing

Thanks Rockbender, I thought about a hand pump for awhile, and like the marine foot pumps even better, but this Flojet electric was only a few bucks more than the hand pumps I was looking at, so I went that direction. The marine foot pumps are really neat but about $100.
Here's my 2nd Aquatainer, used for hand washing outside. I need to build a proper rack for it, but thats way down the list. It hasn't moved since last Spring. Actually, I can't count the number of times I've used it on the road after fiddling with a dirty bicycle/rack or the like.
I guess I'll have plenty of water on board with both.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

86, having already bought a couple of the $100 plus foot pumps for my boat sinks, I recently found this site where the same kind of pumps are very much cheaper. Even the big foot pumps are less than $100.

http://www.thebosworthco.com/pproduct.php?ID=GF-0250S-0
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

2. I know, I'm torn between cutting another hole in the van. I don't think it would get used that often, because....
No need to cut a hole or have that unsightly flap on the outside. I put my fill in the rear door jam. Since I don't use the rear door speakers, I pulled the wire and put a RV water fill in the existing hole. Removing the taillight gives you access to the other side of the hole and plenty of room for routing the plumbing.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

freshwater plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
86, having already bought a couple of the $100 plus foot pumps for my boat sinks, I recently found this site where the same kind of pumps are very much cheaper. Even the big foot pumps are less than $100.

http://www.thebosworthco.com/pproduct.php?ID=GF-0250S-0
Very Nice! Thanks

Sheepshagger, that's a cool setup too. Do you remember where you got that particular water fill?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Sheepshagger, that's a cool setup too. Do you remember where you got that particular water fill?
Local RV shop. It's a very common part.
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDet ... =7&CID=291

Not sure if you can see from the pic's but I had to cut down one side of the metal base to miss a lip on the door jam. This pic will show it better, you could elongate the factory hole or drill a new on and not have to do that.
http://sheepshagger.smugmug.com/Cars/Bi ... &lb=1&s=X3
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote