Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Grey Ghost New Build Questions

I am new to building a van out, new to this forum and new to forums period. I have been travelling by truck camper for work for the last 12 years and started thinking about a Sportsmobile for a while. I have purchased a 2008 E-350 EB. I figured I'd better give it a name and so it has been Christened "The Grey Ghost". I had Sportsmobile in Indiana put a Transit high-top on it. This is as far as I have gotten to date. I have Yakima roof racks, two Maxxair vents and an Aluminess ladder with 2 extra ladder rungs for the high top portion I will be installing soon. I need to order a couple thermopane (duel pane) windows and dimmable led lights but I'm not finding a good source or info for them.

1st Question- Does anyone have any good sources and info for thermopane (duel pane) windows? Probably around a size 12x36.

2nd Question- Does anyone have any good sources and info for dimmable LED lights? I would prefer smaller (3" round) flush lights for the ceiling.

Thanks,
BigRigBert
2008 E-350 EB "The Grey Ghost"
2008 BMW GS Adventure
2007 Silverado w/2007 Arctic Fox Truck Camper (both truck and camper will be up for sale when the Van is livable)

BigRigBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Here is a picture of the "The Grey Ghost" and my new (used) hoist from Superior Automotive Equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3467.jpg   IMG_5487.jpg  
Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Can't help you with your questions, but welcome to the club! I'm jealous of your garage/shop.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks Mikracer! I've really been enjoying what my friends refer to as "The Man Lair"!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm in the auto/truck glass biz so maybe can help out a bit.........

Thermopane or insulated glass units wouldn't be recommended for a vehicle-based camper of most any description. The nature of their construction including materials used for sealing the double panes is better suited to a fixed location such as a building.

If heat loss through glass openings is a concern consider covers of a reflective nature that are easily put in place and removed as well as being easily stored when not in use. Most here use a radiant barrier insulation material that's sometimes known as Reflexive if my spelling is correct.

Heat loss in these van-bodied campers can be greatly reduced nearly everywhere else inside which greatly reduces the importance of relatively small openings with single pane glazing.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

Close JWA, it's Reflectix and can be found at Lowes/Home Depot.

Nice van Bert. Welcome to the forum.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Thank ya Sir for the correction!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I'm in the auto/truck glass biz so maybe can help out a bit.........

Thermopane or insulated glass units wouldn't be recommended for a vehicle-based camper of most any description. The nature of their construction including materials used for sealing the double panes is better suited to a fixed location such as a building.

If heat loss through glass openings is a concern consider covers of a reflective nature that are easily put in place and removed as well as being easily stored when not in use. Most here use a radiant barrier insulation material that's sometimes known as Reflexive if my spelling is correct.

HTH
The Truck Camper I currently have does have thermopane windows. After doing a little resaerch (looking at the sticker on the window) I found that they are made by Sun-View Industries. http://www.sunviewindustries.ca/.
these windows are made specifically for RV's and I noticed a big difference. I travel all year long and go Ice Climbing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so I want to insulate as best as possible. It looks like from Sun-view's website they are all special order. I'll let you know after I call them.

I also am familiar with Reflectix, I have been using is in my windows for about a year now. It made a dramatic difference in keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

BigRigBert
Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Nice van Bert. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks 86Scotty! I've been reading your build thread and found it helpful!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

The Grey Ghost looks great! I love that high top.

JWA,
I'm curious about what you said about dual pane glass. Most "modern" RV's have dual pane windows. Typically they are slider windows. In the "old days" they would get "snakes" around the perimeter, but modern ones don't. I read that the reason is the older ones used a vacuum and it would slowly suck the edge piece in (hence the "snakes,") but the newer ones use a gas. Many older RV's have had the newer glass put in and then no more snakes.

I could see where maybe it would not work in a van if the glass is curved to fit the body (but is it?). Otherwise, other than the snakes in the early generation glass, I haven't heard of many issues. I was thinking of upgrading myself (newer versions of the rig I have now have them - 15 years old and counting).

OTOH, I still miss my old jalousie windows and would give up dual pane glass to have them again.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote